How do they pick the winners anyway?


Bonnie and Clyde 8/12/12, Best Supporting Actress, Best Cinematography 1967
In its day, the movie was released in 1967, it was known for using the special effect to make gunshots bloody (if you watch old gangster movies, there was a lot of shooting, but not a lot of blood). This was pretty bloody, I actually thought it was directed by Sam Peckinpaugh; it wasn’t, Arthur Penn directed (I just found out he directed one of my favorite movies, Little Big Man with Dustin Hoffman). I’m not a big fan of Warren Beatty, I just never believe him. I really didn’t believe him here. The movie had a certain cartoonish tinge to it in some the scenes, particularly the one with Gene Wilder. That was actually pretty funny. Estelle Parsons won for Best Supporting Actress and I have no idea why. I don’t think she added anything to the movie in terms of her performance, there was no subtlety, no nuance, just a lot of screaming. Beah Richards was nominated for her performance in Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner and I think she should have won for that; I have not seen the other movies for which the other actresses were nominated.  I can cross it off my list and move on.
The Danish Poet 8/16/12, Best Animated Short 2006
Disclaimer: Liv Ullman could narrate the Oslo phone book and I would listen. She narrated this short and I watched. I may have been too enthralled with listening to her narration and inflections, but I think I missed why this won the award, although, I was only able to watch one of the other nominees(Maestro), and I didn’t think that was Oscar-worthy either, cool animation, but I didn’t care. The Danish Poet is a story of beginnings, serendipity and making the best of a situation. It’s very charming, and shows an interesting perspective of how the different Scandinavian countries view their cultural history.
West Bank Story 8/17/12, Best Live Action Short Film 2006
A Middle Eastern take on the current Arab-Israeli conflict with a humorous touch. Interestingly, the film was made in California. Even though it was a ‘short’ film, there were moments where I thought it went on too long. I kind of liked the premise; comedy and humor have a way of telling a story and delivering a message that can be very effective, and perhaps that’s why it won. I’m not really sure of the criteria for winning, and since there are no other categories (like best actor, best writing, etc.), it seems to be a winner takes all. I was able to watch some of the other nominees, and personally, I think Binta and the Great Idea or The Savior would have been a better selection. Binta and the Great Idea is set in Senegal, and has multiple story lines, and the main story line (the Great Idea) is not revealed until the very last scene. The Savior is a religious satire, and while it pokes fun at Mormons, it also has a little fun at the expense of atheists. The short films were available as a collection on one DVD (some of the animated nominees were missing, but there were several extra shorts included).
Anastasia 8/18/12, Best Actress 1956
I read a book on the Anastasia mystery before watching the film, so I had some idea of the historical context, realizing that the film took many liberties with facts (even as they were known at that time). It was a beautifully filmed movie, with wonderful costumes and music (the score was nominated for an Oscar). I was ready to say that film was overacted, but that seems to be typical of films from that time. The movie has an incredible leading cast: Yul Brynner, Ingrid Bergman, and a favorite of mine, Helen Hayes. Ingrid Bergman won for Best Actress; I have not yet seen the other nominated actresses, but I don’t have too many qualms about the win. She certainly embodied the role and the internal conflict that the real Anna Anderson (Koreff in the film) experienced. Helen Hayes is absolutely fabulous as the Dowager Empress, Maria Federovna. She is understated, not overplaying the Russian/Danish accent and letting the action happen around her. I have not seen the other nominated roles for Best Supporting Actress, but Helen Hayes wasn’t even nominated, and that is a total shock. Her role was pivotal to the story (film and real life), and Helen Hayes’ portrayal was wonderful to watch. I don’t know if she is as appreciated today as she should be; perhaps more amongst fans of the theater more than film, but she was a treasure. For kicks, I recommend Candleshoe, a movie from the late 1970s. It is no Oscar winner, but it has a lineup that should make any movie fan salivate: Helen Hayes, David Nive, Jody Foster and Leo McKern (I repeat: this is no Anna Karenina, but it is a fun family film).

Whiling away the time while staying at home

There is no denying that these are very strange and tumultuous we're living in. Obviously I haven't been blogging too much lately, i...