Flashback, part deux


Flashback, part deux
In the spirit of the season and all that jazz, I thought I would give a recap of some of the Oscar-winning films that I grew up watching with my family. As I was going through the list of movies that I have already watched and that had some sentimental value or that might be good holiday fare, I realized the list was very heavy in musicals, so I tried to limit those to include other genres. Perhaps if the spirit moves me, I'll add to this list (or if I don't get my movies from the library in a timely fashion).

Miracle on 34th Street, 1947 Best Supporting Actor, Best Writing Original Story, Best Writing Screenplay – I remember watching this for the first time with my dad, and that’s probably the best memory. Made when there was a Macy’s AND a Gimbel’s and in a less cynical time, it features Maureen O’Hara, a young Natalie Wood, and Oscar-winner, Edmund Gwenn as Santa Claus. People were outraged when Ted Turner colorized it, so much so, I don’t know if that version is shown at all anymore.

The Miracle Worker, 1962 Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress – Anne Bancroft won for Best Actress for her role as Anne Sullivan, Helen Keller’s teacher, and Patty Duke won for Best Supporting Actress as Helen Keller. The story of Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan is inspiring without the dramatization; if possible, it’s even more so with the outstanding performances by Bancroft and Duke. Arthur Penn directed the movie, and it’s hard to believe he’s the same guy who directed Bonnie and Clyde. I think the first time I saw this movie was in elementary school and it made me want to learn more about Sullivan and Keller. Perhaps not your typical holiday movie, but who wants to be typical?

The Sound of Music, 1965 Best Picture, Best Director, Best Sound, Best Scoring of Music, Best Editing – I grew up watching this movie, listening to the record (yes, the record and I still have the original Broadway cast recording) and saw it live onstage. It’s based on the true story of the Von Trapp family and full of beautiful scenery, fabulous songs and not terrible acting featuring the wonderful Christopher Plummer and the irreplaceable Julie Andrews. If you haven’t seen it (and I think there are people who pride themselves on that – shame on you), it’s definitely a family-friendly movie with a few fun scenes that will hold the attention of the kids (and I know, because I was one of those kids).

Fiddler on the Roof, 1971 Best Song Score Adaptation, Best Cinematography, Best Sound – Directed by Norman Jewison and starring Topol, this film has made me laugh and made me cry, and again, has a special meaning to me and my family. Even if you have not seen the whole movie, you have probably heard bits of many of the songs, and perhaps even hum them, Tradition, Sunrise, Sunset and one of my favorites to sing, Matchmaker. The story is set in 1905 Russia, a time of pogroms and uncertainty for Jews in Europe, and that complex existence is captured with humor and bittersweet sentimentality. Topol plays Tevye, the adoring father struggling to marry off his daughters and make a living in Tsarist Russia. Perhaps you could watch this during one of the eight nights of Chanukah, or any time. And don’t blame me if you start humming.

Murder on the Orient Express, 1974 Best Supporting Actress – There is nothing better than Agatha Christie, and the setting of the snowy Balkans makes it close enough to a holiday film for me, and this cast is a collection of some incredible actors, including the winner of Best Supporting Actress, Ingrid Bergman, Lauren Bacall, Vanessa Redgrave and Sean Connery. The story is based on the Lindbergh baby kidnapping, and it’s a twist on the locked room mystery and I think one of Christie’s best stories. Albert Finney stars as Poirot, and I like him, but David Suchet is my ideal Poirot. All of the characters have some reason to kill the victim, Ratchett, and Poirot must interview all of them, and that's where the genius lies. I have enjoyed reading and watching Christie since junior high, and I think teens who enjoy mysteries, maybe the most recent Sherlock Holmes movies, might like watching this movie.

Whiling away the time while staying at home

There is no denying that these are very strange and tumultuous we're living in. Obviously I haven't been blogging too much lately, i...