For the kid in all of us

During a lot of my reviews I will comment on if I think kids would like a movie or if it is child-appropriate; I feel like I can because, well, honestly, I have been told I can be quite child-like or childish, depending on the day. I have also seen a lot of movies with kids, and I feel like I can point out what might be enjoyable or not, and address concerns parents may have about a movie, not always, but often. I've gotten a little behind on watching new movies, so I thought I would dig into the treasure-trove of what I have already seen and review it from a kids-suitability perspective. I went for some older movies, and granted, for the most part, they are well-known movies, but they might have gotten lost in the mix with the newer movies with bigger special effects. I hope you enjoy them if you have not seen them or seen them in a while.

      Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Best Visual Effects, 1971 It’s probably violating some code of reviewing to review a movie you love so much, but I don’t care. I watched this movie when I was younger and when I get the chance, I watch it again. I think it captures everything that is great about a child’s imagination, the idea of a magical bed. Of course in the movie, the bed really is magical. The movie is set in England during World War II when the children of London were sent to the countryside to protect them from the bombings. Angela Lansbury plays an unwilling woman from the village who is assigned three children; oh, and she’s also studying to be a witch. I think for kids, the movie might start out a little slowly, but it starts to pick up once the magic spells start flying. There are great, fun songs; a soccer game on the island of Naboombu (the name itself will make kids giggle) with zebras and ostriches; magic sequences with suits of armor. The movie is small potatoes compared to the big special effects we’re used to these days, but if you’re looking for a good family movie that won’t bore the adults, I recommend this one.
      Dr. Doolittle, Best Original Song and Best Visual Effects, 1967 This movie is waaayyyy too long for a family/children’s movie. I’ve seen it a couple of times, although not very recently, and that is the first thing I think of when I think of the movie; then I think of the cool effects as Doctor Doolittle (played by Rex Harrison) and his friends (animal and human) go on their adventures. The idea of speaking with animals is interesting and intriguing and the older kids may like the movie, but don’t be disappointed if they get antsy and want to watch something a little more snazzy. Maybe use the fast forward option on the remote.
      
      Mary Poppins, Best Actress, Best Film Editing, Original Music Score, Best Original Song and Best Visual Effects, 1964 I don’t know anyone who hasn’t seen this movie, but I don’t know everyone. Julie Andrews won for Best Actress, I haven’t seen any of the other nominated films, but I’m just going to say the award went to the right actress. This is a fabulous family movie, it has something for everyone (seems to be a theme with me): fun songs, magical places (the chalk art sequence), laughing fits that make you float, and some nice parent-child moments. The cast is great, with big names and familiar faces from other Disney projects: Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke, David Tomlinson (also from Bedknobs and Broomsticks), Hermione Baddeley, Glynis Johns, Ed Wynn (if the names don’t ring any bells, you’ll know them when you them). The movie is a little over two hours long, but I don’t recall ever thinking that it was too slow, Mary Poppins as the magical and mysterious nanny, makes her appearance fairly early, and she shows what she is made of right away, laying down her rules. She makes rules fun. Grab some tea, maybe some bubble and squeak, and enjoy the movie (with or without the kids). Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.
      
      The Red Balloon, Best Original Screenplay, 1956 There is almost no dialogue in this movie which works because it would have been in French and would have to be dubbed or subtitled, perhaps taking the appeal to children away. There is just a score and maybe street and crowd noises. It’s a whimsical story about a red balloon and the boy he befriends. It does seem that the balloon has a personality, and the boy treats it as if it does. It’s set in Paris and although it is only 35 minutes long, it follows the boy as he goes off to school to the end of the day. As is often the case, the boy’s classmates do not like that he has this balloon and they try to take it. They chase him through the streets trying to take it and pop it. The ending was not one I expected, but I did like it, and I thought the use of colors was a great way to end the movie. It’s probably not in everyone’s taste, but since it’s only 35 minutes, it wouldn't steal your whole day.

Whiling away the time while staying at home

There is no denying that these are very strange and tumultuous we're living in. Obviously I haven't been blogging too much lately, i...