Don't say I didn't warn you - movies to only see once (if you must)

Having watched a good many movies in my life, especially in the last year, I have to say, sometimes I just don't get it. Perhaps it's that the movies that were 'groundbreaking' forty years ago are dated and passe, or the timeliness of the story is doesn't resonate in a different era, or the stars of the movie don't carry the same heft today. I believe a great movie is timeless and a good story is a good story. Sometimes I over think things and I miss out on the whimsy; other times, I can't think that hard and don't get the IMPORTANCE of a film (Tree of Life, for example...what? two hours of my life I will never, ever get back - it didn't win, so I don't have to write about it, but because I care about you, stay away). So, here are some movies that I watched and kind of wish I hadn't. You may disagree, and that's okay.

Splendor in the Grass, Best Writing, Story and Screenplay, written for the screen, 1961

When the premise is sexual repression - you just know it's not going to end well. Directed by Elia Kazan and starring Natalie Wood and Warren Beatty, I had high expectations. I thought I would watch this and say, 'That's a movie everyone should see'. Did you hear that? That was me not saying anything. I remember watching this while instant messaging with a friend and telling her how much I was not enjoying this movie. She asked why I didn't turn it off. Because, I have to see how it ends and if it gets better. It did not. Warren Beatty was more tolerable in this than he was in Shampoo, but he still didn't move my needle (I realize I am not his target demographic, but I just was not impressed). Natalie Wood is Deanie, a 'good' girl who likes Bud (Beatty). Bud finds another who is willing to sacrifice her goodness to be with Bud; while Deanie is assaulted and has a breakdown. Deanie and Bud do not get together, which is deemed to be a good thing.

Midnight Cowboy, Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, 1969

Apparently, this was rated X, still an uncommon rating today (although I think NC-17 is the rating used now), so it was a big deal that it won two of the top awards. I don't even know how I managed to get through this movie, except I must have been making snarky comments through the whole thing. Ugh, painful. In 1969 it might have been groundbreaking, but for me, in the 21st century, I could have lived without it. But it's off the list.

They Shoot Horses, Don't They? Best Supporting Actor, 1969

If the title doesn't make you run away, let me help you: RUN THE FRICK AWAY, HIDE YOUR CHILDREN. Got it? I voluntarily watched this because I read somewhere it was a classic. Great performances, blah blah. In all honesty, I fell asleep in the middle and woke up towards the end; I did rewind a little bit (yes, rewind, videotape). I just didn't care (this should be an actual rating on NetFlix). The story is about a dance marathon (one of those crazy things they did before the Wii, I guess). Sydney Pollack directed, and Jane Fonda, Bruce Dern, Red Buttons and others made up a great cast. I'm sure there is a deep metaphor for life and its struggles, but I'd rather watch Bergman, at least I can pretend to be sophisticated by watching a foreign film.

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Best Art Direction, 2007

I'm sorry all you Johnny Depp fans, but this was unbearable to watch. Tim Burton has grown on me over the years, Helena Bonham Carter is good in so many things, and Johnny Depp and I have our moments, but not in this. I don't have any more to say because I fell asleep during this one too, and didn't rewind.



Whiling away the time while staying at home

There is no denying that these are very strange and tumultuous we're living in. Obviously I haven't been blogging too much lately, i...