Ssh, I'm watching a movie here - X-Men: Days of Future Past, Il Postino, Misery and a few random documentaries

5/30/14 X-Men: Days of Future Past (not yet nominated)


After being so disappointed by Spiderman, I was really nervous about how X-Men: Days of Future Past would go, especially with so many characters involved. Would it be too much, not enough, confusing, or anti-climatic? Well, I wasn't even sure I was going to finish the movie due to some extraordinarily obnoxious teenagers, who apparently thought they were at their parents' homes where chatting and texting are the norm, and being rude is totally acceptable. They were removed from the theater less than 10 minutes into the movie, much to their surprise. I was reminded of the scene in Fried Green Tomatoes where Kathy Bates' character gets cut off by two young obnoxious girls. She has had enough and starts ramming their car and says something like "I'm older and I have better insurance." Lesson: shut the hell up and watch the movie or kiss your $10 goodbye. So, once the distracting adolescents were out of the theater, we could sit back and enjoy. I don't want to give anything away, so here are a few things to keep in mind: I would recommend that you re-familiarize yourself with the previous X-Men movies, especially the characters and plot points; there is a LOT going on, especially during the action scenes, I wish I could have paused the movie, rewound it and started them over; don't get too hung up on how the time travel happens, you might give yourself an aneurysm. Enjoy the special effects, I would seriously think this could be nominated for visual effects, sound editing, maybe another technical award or two. One of my complaints about Spiderman 2 was the introduction of Rhino for no real reason, it didn't advance the story, it just added 20 minutes to an already long movie; I was afraid that might happen here because there are probably 5 times the super hero characters in X-Men:DOFP, but they didn't bog down the story, they were part of the action. I gave Captain America: Winter Soldier one fist pump when it was over, Spiderman got a WTF?, and X-Men got two fist pumps. My only 'complaint' is there isn't enough background on some of the characters, many I have not heard of before, and I didn't have my Marvel encyclopedia handy; oh, and they could have added another 30 minutes of fighting and action scenes.

5/31/2014 Misery, Best Actress, 1990

Wikipedia describes Misery, based on the novel by Stephen King, as a 'psychological horror thriller'; these three words together are enough to make me say, um, no thank you, which is why it has taken over 20 years for me to watch it. It was taut with suspense, but I would not call it a 'horror' film, maybe just 'psychological thriller' and then I would have watched it only 10 years ago instead. Misery was really a breakthrough role for Kathy Bates who won the Best Actress award for her portrayal of Annie Wilkes who is a little nuts, to put it simply. James Caan is writer Paul Sheldon who has just finished his most recent novel in Colorado. On the drive back to New York, Sheldon crashes his car and is 'rescued' by Annie Wilkes, who tends to his broken legs and reveals herself as his biggest fan, who is very protective of Sheldon's character 'Misery Chastain' and does not approve of his desire to shelve Misery and start writing books in another genre. Annie exerts a lot of control over the virtually helpless Sheldon, and when he decides to try and escape, Annie inflicts a punishment so harsh, I had to close my eyes. Since this is a thriller, I can't reveal too much more (I know, what a cop out), but it was nice to see Lauren Bacall as Sheldon's agent; you can't ever have too much Lauren Bacall. Richard Farnsworth and Frances Sternhagen play the local sheriff and his deputy (they are also married and provide some of the comic moments in the movie, and in my opinion, they could have had a great television series together). Kathy Bates really is fabulous as the woman on the verge of a nervous breakdown, if you're lucky, and homicide, if you're not. She takes Annie right up to the edge, then makes her almost likable, and then back again. James Caan is more like his Brian Piccolo (Brian's Song) than Sonny Corleone (The Godfather) in that he is not in a power position, he is very vulnerable and does a lot of his acting from the bed or a wheelchair. He cannot have the outbursts that Sonny had. I really enjoyed the movie and if you have not seen it, you might enjoy it as well (even if you're a scaredy cat, it will be okay).

6/1/2014 Il Postino, Best Music, Original Score, 1995


Pompeii, 2006
This is going to sound horrible, but we've been through too much together for me to lie to you: I fell asleep during this movie, but what I saw, did not interest me in the least and I never recovered, even when I woke up. The movie was up for numerous awards and I really feel like I should have liked it or appreciated it, but I didn't. If you enjoy poetry, and I have a friend who does, you may enjoy this more. That's all I have. Sorry. It's set on an Italian island, so please enjoy my photo from Pompeii (not an island, but still).

Muscle Shoals, 2013

Muscle Shoals is a music documentary that focuses on the music made in Muscle Shoals, Alabama. The Rolling Stones, Aretha Franklin, Etta James, Bob Seger, Lynrd Skynrd, the Allman Brothers and so many others made music in this part of the southeastern United States. Its sound is as identifiable and unique as the Motown sound or the Stax sound predominant in the 1960s and 1970s. There is a lot of history poured into this 100 minute documentary, and the music is amazing; I knew about the Muscle Shoals sound, but I did not know how far-reaching it was. The film includes interviews with some well known musicians like Steve Winwood, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Aretha (she doesn't even need a last name), and others, as well as the studio band, most of whom are not well-known. There are two studios that are in this story, FAME Studios and Muscle Shoals Sound Studio, which was founded by four of the FAME Studios musicians. FAME Studios is still run by Rick Hall, who produced so many of these great songs and records; I love music and know lots of bits and bobs, but I had never heard of Rick Hall. He certainly had the touch. One of the things that gets talked about a lot in the film, and also comes up in Standing in the Shadows of Motown was the question or issue of color and race; many people did not know that the Muscle Shoals musicians were black and white, and some people were surprised that they were white; 'how could they get that sound if they're white?' kind of thing. The musicians themselves and the artists all said that color wasn't an issue for them, it may have been an issue when they left the studio for others (white musicians socializing with a black singer, like Wilson Pickett), but not for them. The Motown musicians said the same thing. The music was the bond; their love and appreciation of good music and great musicianship. I didn't look, but I will, to see if there is a companion soundtrack, because I'm going to get it. If you liked 20 Feet From Stardom and Standing in the Shadows of Motown, then you will like this as well.

Dear Mr. Watterson, 2013

If you grew up reading Calvin and Hobbes in the comics, then you will want to watch this documentary about the elusive Bill Watterson and his work. The movie is at a slight disadvantage because it has no interviews with Watterson, just a few quotes and a lot of fellow illustrators and writers and cartoon historians giving their analysis and observations. A lot of the analysis about Calvin and his appeal to so many audiences is very insightful, and clearly, Watterson influenced a lot of illustrators. I remember reading Calvin and Hobbes in the paper, munching my cereal. I was old enough to read the comics to myself by the time Calvin  came out, but I have great memories of my dad reading the comics to me on Sundays. There is some discussion about the passing of the Golden Age of the newspaper comics and how younger generations may be missing out on this collective experience, and could Calvin and Hobbes be as successful as today. There is also commentary on the fact that Watterson did not license his characters the way Garfield or The Peanuts were, there were no animated specials or movies; Calvin and his tiger pal, Hobbes are in several books that were published. One other fact, and I cannot let it go unmentioned, but Watterson is from Chagrin Falls, Ohio, a town east of Cleveland with a waterfalls and a nice ice cream shop and other little shops. He still lives there and paints for himself. This was not the best documentary I have ever seen, I don't think it tugs on any emotional heartstrings and it doesn't lift you up, like 20 Feet From Stardom or Undefeated, and I think it does miss the voice of Bill Watterson. That's not to say it's bad, but it didn't make me cry.

Whiling away the time while staying at home

There is no denying that these are very strange and tumultuous we're living in. Obviously I haven't been blogging too much lately, i...