Two winners from 2011


A Separation, 9/22/12 Best Foreign Language 2011

A Separation is an Iranian film following the family trials and tribulations of Nader and Simin. Although set in 21st century Iran, it really could be set in any city anywhere as it covers divorce, caring for elderly parents and raising a pre-teen child. There are some cultural experiences which may be unique to a country like Iran, but that just makes it more interesting to watch. Simin, Nader’s wife, wants to go to leave Iran so their daughter doesn’t grow up under the current regime. Simin can’t leave because he has to take care of his elderly father who suffers from Alzheimer’s. Simin hires a woman to stay with his father during the day and that move takes the family down a path that nobody could have foreseen. Razieh is the woman that is hired and I was really focused on her and her struggles; I thought hers was a very interesting story and is probably a viewpoint that isn’t told very often. My sentimental favorite was In Darkness by Agnieszka Holland who does incredible work and makes powerful films, but I like the statement made (perhaps in my mind only) that a film like A Separation, from Iran, can win one of the highest honors from the American film community.

The Muppets, 9/25/12 Best Original Song 2011

I love the Muppets, there’s something about them. I was reluctant to watch this movie though, because, well, sometimes you can’t go back. Well, I was right, you can’t go back, but this movie manages to go forward while bringing a healthy dose of nostalgia and fun with it. You don’t watch the Muppets (in any incarnation) for enlightenment or thought-provoking story lines, you just watch it for fun, or in this case so I can cross it off my list. It was a fun movie, with all the favorite characters, and one new one (Walter). Jason Segal (who really reminds me of someone from high school, but I can’t figure out who) is Walter’s brother, and Amy Adams is his girlfriend and they head to Hollywood for a vacation, taking Walter with them. Walter’s passion for the Muppets starts them on the journey that is a Muppets movie. There’s plenty of singing, and the song “Man or Muppet” won the Oscar, although I wish there was a way for “Rainbow Connection” to win since Kermit sang that in this movie as well. Compared to the last movie I watched that won for Best Original Song (The Thomas Crown Affair)I did enjoy this song, at least it sounded good.

I planned to watch The Red Shoes, however, the DVD and I had a disagreement, I wanted it to play and it refused, so it goes back in the hopper and onward I go. I have about 5 movies to get through this weekend. We’ll see how it goes.

Whiling away the time while staying at home

There is no denying that these are very strange and tumultuous we're living in. Obviously I haven't been blogging too much lately, i...