A Happy Accident


A Star is Born, 10/5/12 Best Original Song 1976
Well, if you read my previous post, I hope you haven’t been waiting too long – I failed miserably at getting through the five movies. I picked the longest movies in the world to watch, and I just couldn't find the energy. Then when I found the energy, and the time (mostly the energy/desire), I wound up watching a movie that wasn't even on my flipping list! Ah!! I only found this out midway through the three hour movie. However, it wasn't all in vain, and it was actually part of my master plan, sort of. The movie I watched was A Star is Born from 1954 with Judy Garland (Grand Rapids, Minnesota’s own) and James Mason. I swear it was on the list, but alas, it was not. For those of you that do not know, there are actually three ‘A Star is Born’ movies, one from 1937, 1954 and this one from 1976. The movie from 1937, with Janet Gaynor, actually won an Oscar for Best Story. That is in the queue, so look for a review soon. The 1954 version with Judy Garland was really good and she was nominated for in the Best Actress category, but lost out to Grace Kelly. I thought she was fabulous, and really carried the movie. She showed why she was such an amazing star. I didn't really see James Mason as her husband, I just didn't buy it (I love James Mason, most especially Eddie Izzard’s impersonation of James Mason as God). The story is a tragic love affair, and even if you see the end coming, it’s still sad. The 1954 version is much more in the musical tradition with big song and dance numbers; Judy at her best.

The 1976 version, with Kris Kristofferson and Barbra Streisand won for the best song. I don’t know if it’s irony or just funny (to me only, maybe), but “Evergreen” the song that won, was co-written by Streisand and Paul Williams. Paul Williams also wrote “Rainbow Connection” from the Muppet movie.  I don’t think I have ever watched the movie in its entirety before, but I liked it. There was nothing too sophisticated or high-brow, or even surprising, but it had some good music, except when Kris Kristofferson was singing. It sounded like a cat was being tortured. I guess that goes to show you can write great songs, but maybe not be the best singer in the world (he wrote “Me and Bobby McGee” amongst others). I've never been a big Barbra Streisand fan, so I wasn't sure how this would go, but she was really good. The story pretty much follows the story arc of the other two movies, with some modern updating. If you have 800 movies on your list to watch, I don’t know that I would move this up with a bullet. I would put the Garland version higher on the list. But, if you’re a Barbra fan, and somehow missed this, you should watch it.

Whiling away the time while staying at home

There is no denying that these are very strange and tumultuous we're living in. Obviously I haven't been blogging too much lately, i...