Zootopia (redux) and a guest review of Finding Dory

6/25/16 Zootopia, 2016 not yet nominated

A few months ago I had some young friends review Zootopia because I knew I wouldn't get to it for a while and I wanted to get something out in a timely fashion, so I do what large companies do - I outsourced it. I did finally get around to seeing it, and I have to say, I did enjoy it. I love when they get the right actor with the right voice for an animated character, and I am partial to anthropomorphic animals. Ginnifer Goodwin is Judy Hopps, a bunny on the Zootopia Police force. Not everyone has the faith in Judy's abilities that she does, but Chief Bogo (Idris Elba), a cape buffalo, gives her one chance to prove herself. Judy meets up with Nick Wilde (Jason Bateman), a red fox, who is also a con-artist. One of my favorite scenes, and the trailer that I saw in the theater, was Nick and Judy at the Department of Mammal Vehicles (DMV) trying to get information out of Flash, a three-toed sloth who moves and talks in slow motion. I loved it when Flash was reacting to a joke that Nick told to slow Judy down. Something bad is happening in Zootopia, and Judy is on the case, even as it takes her into the dark corners of Zootopia, including a meeting with Mr. Big, ironic because he is an arctic shrew, which are very tiny animals. The scene is a takeoff from The Godfather and Don Corleone's daughter's wedding scene. There are a few big-named actors voicing some of the characters (J.K. Simmons, Octavia Spencer, Kristen Bell), but there are many lesser-known voices (this doesn't diminish anything, but I wanted to mention it because so many movies are bursting with stars that it can be distracting). If you have kids, you have probably already seen it, but if you haven't seen (with or without kids), it would be a good summer time movie.

Coincidentally, Mr. Price makes a return visit as a guest reviewer, again, until I can get to the theater. Please enjoy his review of Finding Dory.
Guest Review by Connor Price
Finding Dory, 2016 not yet nominated 

Finding Dory was, in a word, adorable. It not only included fun characters and an interesting setting,but it created a very smooth plot. The story itself picks up only a year after the first ended off. Marlin, Nemo,and Dory still live together in their small corner of the ocean among the sea ameno..... aneno.......aneme......sea anemones. 😀However, Dory remembers that she does have a family and that she must find them. The three friends go on an amazing journey to find her parents. Along the way, Dory receives hints that allow her to recall little memories of her childhood and how her parents would attempt to battle her frustrating short-term memory loss. Dory meets many memorable characters along the way; including Hank the Octopus, a very near-sighted whale shark, and a big beluga who claims his echo-location is damaged. Come along on Dory's adventure to regain her parents and remember herself in a wonderfully exciting and hilarious film, Finding Dory!

Whiling away the time while staying at home

There is no denying that these are very strange and tumultuous we're living in. Obviously I haven't been blogging too much lately, i...