Peter Gabriel and Sting - Rock, Paper, Scissors at the United Center 2016





From Section 309 at the United Center - the friendly skies
If you've been following along, you will recall that this was my third concert in 8 days (kind of like Hanukah in July), starting with The Jayhawks and Folk Uke, then Adele and now Peter Gabriel and Sting in Chicago. I have to say that seeing anyone, even one of my favorites, Peter Gabriel, so close to that amazing Adele concert probably wasn't fair, because Adele was so magical. I had mixed feelings about this concert because I have seen Sting at least four times in the 1980s and 1990s and I was good, but you never know when someone is going to tour again. After our little adventure getting to the arena, my brother and I settled into our seats. I last saw Peter Gabriel in this exact arena, but a little closer to the ground, and he had an opening act, Jennie Abrahamson with Linnea Olsson. Sting and Gabriel did not have an opening act, but Jennie and Linnea were part of Peter's backing band. This concert wasn't a split set, with Sting doing songs and then Peter; they alternated songs, sometimes both bands playing together, sometimes Sting singing Peter's songs, sometimes Peter singing Sting's songs. They started with "The Rhythm of the Heat" the first of three song's from Gabriel's fourth solo album Security; the bands then played Sting's song "If I Ever Lose My Faith In You". Sting and Gabriel then explained how the night was going to go, with some friendly banter
between them. There was very little interaction with the audience, mostly straight ahead music. My preference and interest was more in Gabriel's songs, and I had several I was hoping for, especially from his earlier albums, and he did play one of my favorites "Shock the Monkey" which was played fairly early in the set. I could have done without "Big Time", I mean if you don't have the goofy suit, what's the point? Peter and Jennie sang "Don't Give Up", which was originally done with the ethereal Kate Bush on So, but he has sung it over the years with Sinead O'Connor, Tracy Chapman and Ane Brun. Abrahamson matches the emotion, gravitas and love that the song deserves. The evening would not have been complete without "Solsbury Hill", which still gives me goosebumps. Speaking of goosebumps, they didn't do ""Biko" and given all the events in the country right now, I think it would have been powerful. I really wanted my brother to have the experience of that song; if you've heard it live, you know exactly what I mean. My favorite Sting songs were from The Police era: "Message in A Bottle", "Roxanne" and "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic". The respective bands had great musicians, but with so much going on onstage, and being so high up, I only saw what the cameras wanted me to see, so I didn't get to watch Tony Levin play bass as much or David Rhodes on guitar; I did LOVE that Sting's band had a violinist, Peter Tickell, and Peter's band had Linnea Olsson on cello. Sting's back up singer, Jo Lawry (you may remember her from Twenty Feet From Stardom), and the three singers were terrific together, and they all got a moment to shine. I had read in previous reviews that Sting does a little bit of "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight" from Genesis's Selling England By the Pound (one of my favorite Genesis albums), and that was a real treat to hear. I guess at the end of the day, I liked the show, but I did not love it. Maybe I was tired; a little let down in the song selection; and missing the love and enthusiasm from the Adele crowd. I am glad that my brother did get to hear and see two of the most important singer/songwriters/humanitarians my generation has known.



 


Whiling away the time while staying at home

There is no denying that these are very strange and tumultuous we're living in. Obviously I haven't been blogging too much lately, i...