The first docu-drama-mentary? The Three Faces of Eve

The Three Faces of Eve, 3/30/13, Best Actress, 1957

Docu-drama-mentary - I just made that up. It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, but I think it describes The Three Faces of Eve, which is based on the true story of a woman diagnosed with multiple personality disorder or dissociative identity disorder. Joanne Woodward won the Best Actress for her roles as Eve White, Eve Black and Jane. Alistair Cooke (from Masterpiece Theater) introduces and narrates the movie and tells the audience that much of the dialogue comes from transcripts from Eve's doctors. In addition to Woodward, the movie features Lee J. Cobb as her primary psychiatrist and David Wayne (character actor, played Ellery Queen's father in the 1970s series) played her husband. I have to say, the acting from Cobb and Wayne seemed very stiff, especially Wayne's. It's like they were really part of the scenery and just there to move Eve's story forward. Woodward does an admirable job of playing three different personalities, sometimes having to change from one to another on command (I have no background in psychiatry, so I cannot say how realistic or accurate the portrayals of the personalities or the doctors was), and she makes them very distinct and identifiable. The movie wraps everything up in a neat little bow, which I find hard to believe. The real Eve, Chris Costner Sizemore (according the article in Wikipedia) has "been living with a single identity for 30 years". The Three Faces of Eve was one of Woodward's earlier movies, and she isn't as well known as her husband, Paul Newman, but I think she gives a great performance whether it's on the television or the big screen (I remember watching her in a performance of Come Back Little Sheba on TV and thinking she was wonderful when I was much younger). So, the usual question - should you watch it? I don't think it's a must see, but a see it if you can type of movie. I caught it for free, no commercials on my cable provider 'on-demand', so you can always try that or the library.

Whiling away the time while staying at home

There is no denying that these are very strange and tumultuous we're living in. Obviously I haven't been blogging too much lately, i...