A little Jane Austen is good for the soul

Emma, 4/14/13, Best Original Score, 1996

You really cannot go wrong with Jane Austen. Well, that may be a little overly optimistic, but in this case, it's true. I was not sure how I would like Gwyneth Paltrow as the title character, Emma, (I think she's a great Pepper Pots in the Iron Man movies), but I thought she did a good job. I enjoyed the movie, especially after watching JFK the day before; it was a nice way to end the weekend. I really love the way writers like Austen, Oscar Wilde and Charles Dickens create their characters, especially the peripheral characters, that make the stories so timeless. And Austen has such a way with language, and an insight into human nature. Emma fancies herself a matchmaker, and does a terrible job of trying to match her lesser-advantaged friend, Harriet (played by Toni Collette) to the minister, Mr. Elton, then Frank Churchill (Ewan McGregor), both unsuccessfully. Of course, as she is so busy in other people's love lives, she crosses verbal swords with George Knightley (Jeremy Northam); she almost outsmarts herself. Mr. and Mrs. Elton (Mrs. Elton played by Juliet Stevenson) have some pretty comedic moments, and Miss Bates provides some comic relief, but also a moment of humility for Emma. The film won for best original score and Rachel Portman created a score that supports the movie and the narrative without intruding or being annoying. There were moments I didn't really pay attention to it, and other times where it was there in a very pleasant way.

I'm not an Austen expert, either her books or the films based on her books, but I think this version is a great introduction if you're interested. It has great dialogue, beautiful scenery, pretty good acting and a delightful score, zero nudity (although some of the clothes of the 19th century were hideous), and no swearing...a sophisticated family-friendly film. And, I have added a few more books to the summer reading list.



Whiling away the time while staying at home

There is no denying that these are very strange and tumultuous we're living in. Obviously I haven't been blogging too much lately, i...