Oscar night 2015 the 87th Academy Awards

I'm getting ready for the big night;my red carpet outfit is my Green Lantern t-shirt (not because it won any Oscars) and my sweat pants. I'm watching "The Great British Baking Show" until the ceremony starts. As you could probably tell by attire tonight, I'm not all that interested in what people wear. They are inevitably dressed better than I will ever be. My hope for tonight is the show lasts less than 4 hours. Hope springs eternal. I saw all but 18 of the nominated films, and somehow I have to get better at seeing the documentaries and the foreign films, but those are always a crapshoot, and sometimes not even released in the U.S., or perhaps not in the Twin Cities. Five minutes to go.

Neil Patrick Harris is singing the opening number. He is really talented, I'll say that for Doogie Howser. Anna Kendrick and Jack Black have joined NPH. That was really good. I have to say, I never really remember the opening sequence from year to year, and I may never remember this, but it was good (and tasteful).

The first award is for Best Supporting Actor, presented by Lupita N'yongo from Twelve Years a Slave (someone needs to put her in another film). My sentimental favorite is Robert Duvall for The Judge. We'll see. Edward Norton was great in Birdman, but he'll get more opportunities. J.K. Simmons is the critics' favorite, and he was transcendent in Whiplash. Simmons just won. I'm actually really okay with that. He has done so many different roles over the years, including the dad in Juno and Emile Skoda in "Law and Order". And the insurance commercials.

Liam Neeson is presenting (sometimes you forget he has such a great Irish accent) two of the nominees for Best Picture, including The Grand Budapest Hotel and American Sniper. If you have not seen The Grand Budapest Hotel, you should check it out. It's definitely quirky, and I thought charming.

Dakota Johnson (Fifty Shades of Grey) is presenting "Lost Stars" sung by Adam Levine from Begin Again. He also sang the song in the movie. I like the song, but nobody has been talking about it, for some reason people prefer the song from The Lego Movie.

Some of these commercials are better than the over-hyped Super Bowl ads.  Edith Piaf is singing "Je regret ne rien" for a Cadillac commercial. Classy.

Jennifer Lopez and Chris Pine are presenting the award for Best Costume Design, Inherent Vice, Into The Woods, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Maleficent are nominated. The Grand Budapest Hotel just won its first Oscar of the night; I did think Maleficent was very well done, though and I haven't seen Inherent Vice.

Reese Witherspoon is now presenting the Best Makeup and Hairstyling, including Foxcatcher, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Guardians of the Galaxy. The Grand Budapest Hotel is on a roll, they just won their second Oscar.

Okay, maybe I jumped on the pro-commercial bandwagon a little early. Damn Edith Piaf.

Wow, Nicole Kidman is really tall. She is co-presenting the Best Foreign Film with Chiwetel Ejiofor. I've only seen Ida and hated it. Ugh, it seriously just won. The director started off on a great speech and then got extremely carried away, talking through the play-off music.

Boyhood and The Theory of Everything, and Birdman being shown for Best Picture. Birdman and The Grand Budapest Hotel surprised a lot of people with how they have kept their momentum.

"Everything is Awesome" from The Lego Movie is being sung by Tegan and Sarah complete with dancers. I must be the only person in America who thought this song was annoying as hell. And I still think that. Oh good, another commercial break.

They tell me that the Best Animated Short and Live Action Short will be announced soon. My pick for the Animated Short is The Dam Keeper, but we'll see. The Live Action is tougher, but I would love to see The Phone Call with Sally Hawkins and Jim Broadbent win; Sally was very powerful, basically acting only to Jim Broadbent's voice on the phone. Oh, Kerry Washington and Jason Bateman are now presenting. I did enjoy Boogaloo and Graham. The Oscar goes to The Phone Call. Very nice. the winners make the long walk from the back of the theater and make another long speech. This is going to be a long night. I guess the animated shorts will come later.

Best Documentary Short is next. I only really loved one, Crisis Hotline: Veterans, Press 1. Yes, and that just won as well. This short film is so moving. Maybe it's no accident that two films about Crisis Centers have won the Oscars tonight.

Viola Davis (The Help, Doubt) is introducing the Governors Award that was awarded to Maureen O'Hara, Hayao Miyazki (The Wind Rises), Jean-Claude Carriere; Harry Belafonte received the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award.

"I'm Not Going to Miss You" from the Glen Campbell documentary Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me is being sung by Tim McGraw. I haven't seen the film, but the song is very moving. Wow. If that loses to The Lego Movie, I will be very irritated.

I wish they didn't have these little shenanigans, just do the awards. He's kind of doing Michael Keaton in Birdman mixed with JK Simmons in Whiplash.

Sound Mixing nominees are American Sniper, Birdman, Interstellar (haven't seen it), Unbroken, Whiplash. The winner is Whiplash. That's two awards for this movie tonight. Without looking, I think this is the only nomination for Unbroken. I can tell this speech is going to go long (this is the key word so far). Sound Editing nominees are American Sniper, Birdman, The Hobbit (too LONG), Interstellar, Unbroken (I guess this is the second nomination for Unbroken). I wish I understood the differences in the two categories; I'm sure there is a difference, I just don't get it. American Sniper won this award.

Best Supporting Actress is being presented by Jared Leto. I hope Laura Dern (Wild) wins, but odds are not with her. Patricia Arquette for Boyhood is the favorite; Meryl Streep in Into The Woods(I don't think Jared Leto was joking when he said it was almost a requirement to nominate Streep for an Oscar); Keira Knightley in The Imitation Game; Emma Stone in Birdman as Michael Keaton's rebellious daughter (she will be nominated again, she is so good in different roles like in The Help). Patricia Arquette won. I just hated that movie so much. She did just give a killer speech about equal rights for woman in America which got a fist pump from Meryl.

I just broke out my neck pillow.

The song from Beyond the Lights (haven't seen it yet) "Grateful" is being sung by Rita Ora. Another song that is a million times better than the Lego song. I'm not bitter, I did like the movie, but I don't get how the song is so awesome.

Visual effects are up next. My guess is Guardians of the Galaxy. But, I think it's anyone's guess with three super hero movies up for it. What? Interstellar just won. Damn, now I have to watch it. Marvel just got no love.

This could be funny, Kevin Hart and Anna Kendrick. Best Animated Short is up now. WHAT? Feast won. I do not get this at all. It was good, but not better or even more creative than The Dam Keeper or The Single Life.

The Animated Feature film is next. Zoe Saldana and Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) are presenting. The Boxtrolls is my favorite, but I don't have a good feeling about it, especially after the last award. I've only seen two of the nominees, so I'm kind of handicapped here. Big Hero 6 won. That is one I have not seen, but it's out on DVD this week. You should still see The Boxtrolls.

Chris Pratt (Guardians of the Galaxy) and Felicity Jones (The Theory of Everything) are presenting Best Production Design. Could this be another win for The Grand Budapest Hotel or will Into the Woods take this? Third win of the night for The Grand Budapest Hotel. 

Best Cinematography with Birdman, The Grand Budapest, Unbroken, Mr. Turner and Ida. Birdman won, and it's the first win of the night. I haven't seen Mr. Turner, but it's on the list. I thought Ida had a good chance with this because of the use of black and white filming, and while I loathed the movie, it was well-filmed.

I like the music they are playing as the presenters approach the microphones. Little snippets of movie songs, I don't know if they are all Oscar winners, but it's a nice touch. It's kind of like "Name that Tune".

The In Memoriam section is going to start, and I'll be crying. There were a lot of talented people who died this past year Robin Williams, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Mickey Rooney, James Garner, Maya Angelou, Anita Ekberg, H.R. Giger, Richard Attenborough, Ruby Dee, and so many more. Some names are just footnotes or answers to trivial pursuit questions to us now, like Luise Rainer (The Good Earth), some are such a part of our consciousness we cannot remember watching movies without them, like Robin Williams, others we never knew their names, but felt their impact on the movies we loved, like H.R. Giger and his set designs. Jennifer Hudson is singing a tribute song. I think she sang last year, maybe that was at the Grammy's (?). She has a voice that carries with it a sense of remembrance and love. I must be getting sentimental as it's my bedtime.

Tonight is being brought to you by Samsung.

The editing award is next. I heard somewhere that Boyhood is the favorite because there should be an award for editing twelve years of crap. Okay, that is not a reason. Whiplash picked up its third (?) award tonight. I'm a little surprised, I thought American Sniper or Imitation Game would get it. It doesn't seem like there's a 'big' winner, at least so far. The Grand Budapest Hotel and Whiplash have won multiple awards. We still have the other actor awards to go and the screenplay awards.

Terrence Howard is presenting the other nominees for best picture, including Whiplash, The Imitation Game, and Selma. He is overacting just a little, I think. I kind of want to watch The Imitation Game again.

I have only seen one of the documentary features this year, and that's my favorite category. I've only seen Finding Vivian Maier, and the others look very interesting and compelling. Citizenfour won; it is with Edward Snowden. It's the Pentagon Papers of our time (right or wrong I don't know).

Ugh, more commercials. I'll be back. I must take something for my hacking cough.

Octavia Spencer (part of a running joke with Neil Patrick Harris and his locked box of Oscar picks) is introducing John Legend and Common to sing "Glory" from Selma. First, can I say, we need more of Octavia Spencer, she is funny, but also a great dramatic actress. I really like this song. I'm not a big rap fan, but this is a good integration of traditional singing by Legend and rapping by Common, with a powerful message. I got chills when I heard this at the end of the movie. I'm getting chills now as the singers walk under a mock bridge. Okay, for about the fifth time, if any of these songs lose to the Lego song, I may give up this blogging thing. People are actually crying in the audience. THAT"S a powerful song.

Idina Menzel is presenting (with Neil Patrick Harris making the obvious joke about John Travolta's pronunciation of her name last year) and out comes John Travolta. They are doing the Best Original Song category. This is tough, there are a few tear jerkers in the bunch. And "Glory" won! There is hope for the Academy yet. So amazing. No mispronounced names and back slaps all around. Common and John Legend probably gave the best acceptances speeches I have heard in a while.

The sounds of Willy Wonka are being played right now, the overture (?), I don't know, but it was beautiful.

Scarlett Johanssen is introducing a fiftieth anniversary tribute to The Sound of Music (I love Scarlett but Lucy was horrible). They're showing a montage right now. I do love that movie; we grew up on it, watching it every year. So long, farewell, auf wiedersehn, good night. Lady Gaga is going to sing some songs, I guess. She's really making the rounds, she sang at the tribute to Stevie Wonder that was on last week. I was enjoying it, but I think she butchered "Edelweiss". I wonder if Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer are in the audience. I am not seeing them. Insert sad face. Oh wait, Julie Andrews just walked onstage. And it looks like nobody knew it was happening. I was lucky enough to see Julie Andrews live in "Victor/Victoria" in Minneapolis over 15 years ago. I think everyone loves her. She is presenting for the Best Original Score. Alexandre Desplat is nominated twice, The Grand Budapest Hotel and The Imitation Game. And he won for The Grand Budapest Hotel and he is up the nosebleed seats. It will be a while before he gets down there. Is that four wins for The Grand Budapest Hotel?

Is there any character, real or imagined, dumber than the yellow M&M? If I'm lucky tonight, the Oscars will end in 30 minutes. I don't think it's my lucky night. I think there are six awards to go.

Eddie Murphy is going to present, and after the minor fiasco at the Saturday Night Live 40th anniversary show, it's good that he doesn't have to be funny. This is for the Original Screenplay - my pick is The Grand Budapest Hotel, but you should take a look at Nightcrawler if you have not. Birdman wins. That's good, too. I'm not going to be upset over it. I wonder if this means that Michael Keaton will pick up the Oscar.

Oprah (does she even need to use her last name?) is presenting Best Adapted Screenplay: American Sniper, The Imitation Game, Inherent Vice (haven't seen it), The Theory of Everything, Whiplash. Hmmm. The Imitation Game wins. How do they decide? I'm so glad I actually don't have a vote. Graham Moore just gave another powerful speech about being different and embracing your difference (I'm not doing a great job at the short hand here) but he got a standing ovation. Best Director with Ben Affleck is next. Eleven o'clock is within reach. I'm sorry, but the alarm goes off at 5:30, so tick tock.

Will Richard Linklater win, Wes Anderson or Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu? I really don't think Foxcatcher is in the game, and I'm not sure people really know who Morten Tildum, director of The Imitation Game is. Inarritu wins; he just picked up the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay for Birdman.

Three more awards, Best Actor, Best Actress and Best Picture.

I watch too many movies. I couldn't remember what Cate Blanchett won her Oscar for last year. Blue Jasmine, I didn't have to look it up, but it took me a while. She is presenting Best Actor. I think it was nice that Steve Carell was nominated, but I don't think it's really going to happen. Bradley Cooper in American Sniper; Michael Keaton in Birdman, Benedict Cumberbatch as Alan Turing in The Imitation Game - a possibility; Eddie Redmayne as Stephen Hawking in The Theory of Everything. Michael Keaton is a favorite. Ugh, such decisions. Wow, Eddie Redmayne just won. He certainly did an amazing job transforming himself. He's so young. I hope this doesn't bring down some weird Oscar curse, because he has a lot of good work ahead of him.

Matthew McConaughey is presenting the Best Actress award. I was supposed to see Still Alice today and I just couldn't leave the house. What is that thing on his face? Who let him out of the house like that? Oh, back to Still Alice, Julianne Moore seems to be the odds on favorite and I can't really say because I didn't see it yet. Marion Cotillard is nominated in another movie I haven't seen. Felicity Jones from The Theory of Everything is really good, but I don't think strong enough to beat Julianne Moore. Rosamund Pike was creepy and psychopathic (she and Louis Bloom would be perfect partners in crime). I loved Reese Witherspoon in Wild, there has been virtually no buzz about it at all. Julianne Moore 'won'. I say 'won' because now she gets to kiss that weird thing on Matthew McConaughey's face. Or maybe she didn't. I looked away. I think people are so happy she won. I love seeing the 'younger' actors win, but sometimes it's really wonderful to see someone like Julianne Moore win, someone who has been in a lot of movies, some good, some not, but so appreciative.

The Best Picture is up next, but now Neil Patrick Harris is wrapping up his schtick with his Oscar picks with the Price Waterhouse Coopers guy. Poor Octavia Spencer has been a great sport. But seriously, the damn show is 30 minutes over, please, I want to go to bed.

I think I have the croup.

Sean Penn (or Mr. Charlize Theron) is presenting for the Best Picture. I'm so excited. Drumroll. Nice suspense by Sean Penn. Birdman wins the big prize. I think I would have been happy with any of the films, really, they were anywhere from very good to great.

And that's it for tonight. It looks like the awards were spread out among the different movies. Michael Keaton is a class act.

We'll see you all next year. Nice job, NHP.

p.s. please excuse any typos or factual errors as I was flying by the seat of my sweatpants.









Whiling away the time while staying at home

There is no denying that these are very strange and tumultuous we're living in. Obviously I haven't been blogging too much lately, i...