Me Myself I - Joan Armatrading times two

10/10/15 Joan Armatrading Hopkins Center for the Arts, Hopkins, Minnesota
10/17/15 Joan Armatrading Humphreys by the Bay, San Diego, California

Sometimes I think I may have some kind of obsessive/compulsive issue, and then a friend or two will comfort me and tell me that it's great that I go on these adventures and do these crazy things and I feel better. Back in April of this year I went to see Joan Armatrading in Kent, Ohio because there was no indication that she was coming to my time zone, and it was a good excuse to see my mom (just don't tell my mom that). I knew I would have a great time, but I was caught up in the magic of that night, and upset that this would be Joan's last international tour, that I quickly looked for other concerts in my neighborhood. I'm directionally challenged, but I do know that San Diego is not exactly driving distance to Minnesota, but I like San Diego and know that's it's not as sprawling as some cities. Anyway, I found a ticket for the 10/17 show and waited. And then, about three weeks ago, I learned that Joan added a show in Hopkins, Minnesota. Damn. Well, in for a penny, in for a pound, and I bought a ticket to that show as well.

Kristina Train opened for the Hopkins show and played fiddle and guitar. She played songs from her latest album "Dark Black". Joan has a knack of having opening acts that really complement her own style (Susan Werner, Marlee McLeod are among those whom I have seen). Kristina was no different, bringing a folk, bluesy style that was really embraced by the audience. Kristina was joined by Paul Olsen (from St. Paul, Minnesota) on guitar and backing vocals. The set was a half an hour, and then the stage was set for the incredible Joan. Joan walked on the stage, picked up her guitar, and thanked announced it was her 202nd (I think that's what she said) show, that she was tired and this would be the last song. The crowd good-naturedly booed and started to yell out songs they wanted to hear. She started off with "All the way to America" on one of her acoustic guitars and moved through her extended catalog of songs and genres, switching between three guitars a twelve string acoustic, 6 six string acoustic and a baby blue electric guitar and the electric piano. Joan played "My Baby's Gone" on the electric guitar and just tears it up, blues style, using a slide. Songs were accompanied by videos, some just visual effects and some 'videos' and "In these times" was a song with the latter type of visual effect, film clips from different war periods over the past 70 years, intermixed with individuals known for their peace efforts. It gives me chills every time; I just love that song it's so simple and yet packs a punch. Joan's fans are a pretty devoted bunch, responding to songs like "Woncha come on home" and "Rosie" after just a few chords. Roughly about halfway through, Joan spoke to the audience about her career, using a pretty impressive collection of photographs to illustrate the point. It might surprise people not familiar with her extensive history in music (and there were several at all three shows I attended) of the depth and breadth of her c.v: she has played with Elton John, been an ambassador of the Prince's Trust in the U.K., was a favorite of Nelson Mandela and his compatriots, played downstairs at Ronnie Scott's in London, was photographed by Lord Snowden, Robert Mapplethorpe and Annie Lebovitz and has been nominated for several Grammys. After this recap, she played more from her catalog; I think she played all of my favorites: "Weakness in Me", "Drop the Pilot" (how many songs include "mahout" in their lyrics?), my theme song "Me, Myself, I" and the crowd singalong "Willow". "Willow" is one of those songs that gives me chills and that has meant a lot to me over the years, and I never tire of hearing it. Even though Joan was playing solo, she had some musical bits pre-recorded (a sax solo during "Love and Affection" and some other things); that didn't bother me at all, it was fully disclosed and they were just enough to highlight what she was playing; it was all her, all live when she was ripping on the guitar. I really liked the venue out in Hopkins (which, from where I live, is like a million miles away), I had a great seat up in the balcony, but I could see everything. The sound was decent as well. The coolest thing was that I played nerdy fan, and hung out by the stage door after the concert and got my poster signed. I guess Minnesotans are just too cool.

The concert in San Diego was pretty much a carbon copy of the others, but the opening act was different and the venue was outside near the water. Bobby Lee Rodgers opened and played a mean acoustic guitar and was well-received by the audience. It all kind of sounded the same to me. Some fans seemed, er, lubricated, and by the end of the night, they were pretty obnoxious. This was the first concert in a really long time where the ushers actually helped you to your seat, instead of saying, 'you're down on that side'. Um, thanks. I liked Humphrey's Concerts by the Bay, it's outside, near water and if you choose, there are a lot of restaurants nearby and hotels. I probably would have tried to stalk Joan again, but it was dark and I had no idea where to start looking. I wish I had some pictures from the shows, but she specifically requested that no photos be taken; it makes sense, it can get annoying with everyone whipping out their camera phones, but still. If I could figure out how to see her again before she goes back to England, I would do it in a heartbeat. Most of my friends (I would say all, but I'm sure I would offend someone) have never heard of her, and it's hard to explain her style since she does do different kinds of music. I should just make them listen to "Track Record" which was the first Joan Armatrading CD I owned and it's a collection of her greatest hits up to that point (late 1980s, I think, without looking it up). Anyway, three shows in six months, and I do not regret a single minute.

I'll be off to Milwaukee and Cleveland in December to see Steve Hackett. Back with more movie reviews shortly.

Whiling away the time while staying at home

There is no denying that these are very strange and tumultuous we're living in. Obviously I haven't been blogging too much lately, i...