2016 Oscar Nominations are out - so much work to do

The nominations for the Academy Awards were announced today, and if my office was rigged for video and audio, you would have seen a lot of head slaps and heard a lot of 'WTFs?' #AYFKM First, I thought I was in better position than I am, I will be busy over the next month or so; second, I have to see Fifty Shades of Grey and Mad Max: Fury Road. There are movies that get released and I think, please don't let that be nominated, please, please, please. I asked a friend if she would watch Fifty Shades with me and she answered with an emphatic and resounding NO. Some friend. I'm not that upset about Mad Max, I just have never been a fan of the franchise or dystopian movies in general, but I'll watch it. They are both on request from the library; the whole experience may cost me two dollars, not including therapy.

I'm a little disappointed that some movies I hoped to see be nominated were not, including Concussion, Suffragette, Home, Meru. But, trying to be positive and upbeat, I have seen a few of the movies already and the reviews are posted. To save you from asking me if I have seen it and what do I think, I have put them in this one handy review.

Shaun the Sheep and Concussion (Will Smith deserved a nomination).

Inside/Out and The Big Short (not sure how you can single out Christian Bale because Steve Carell and Ryan Gosling were both very good).

Amy is not my favorite documentary, and I'm really not sure how they picked the list, but I think He Named Me Malala should have been nominated as well as Meru.
 
Spotlight which is awesome and nominated for several awards was really an ensemble cast, and it's hard for me to single someone out, but I think Liev Schreiber's character was the push behind the story. Sigh.

Trumbo was a very good film telling an important story. Bryan Cranston was Dalton Trumbo. 

Room is an incredibly powerful movie, and Brie Larson is totally worthy of her Best Actress nomination. I'm hoping it doesn't get lost among the other movies.

Bond films are almost sure to get nominated for their songs, and Spectre is no exception. It's not a bad song, and so far, it's the only one I have heard/seen.

I have a long way to go, and I hope to knock another five to seven off the list in the next week, and to really just be down to the usual foreign films and documentaries left to be seen. Fingers crossed.

Whiling away the time while staying at home

There is no denying that these are very strange and tumultuous we're living in. Obviously I haven't been blogging too much lately, i...