Dixie Chicks 2016

I've actually seen the Dixie Chicks twice this year, the first time at Blossom Music Center in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio (a little outside of of Cleveland), I think it was their second stop on their US tour, and then a little over a week ago in at the Resch Center in Green Bay, Wisconsin. A great way to start and end the summer, in my opinion. You may ask if they were playing in Minnesota, and the answer is, yes, two nights at the State Fair, but I have not heard great things about the sound there, and it seemed like more fun to see them on trips back home. Or, to misuse one of their song titles, I took the long way around. The song selection and videos used weren't all that different from the shows, maybe they did one different song in Green Bay, but that's fine with me, they played just about every song I wanted to hear.

Augustana (or some combination of) opened both shows; really didn't work for me. I'm not sure if it was the venues were too big for their sound, which was piano/acoustic guitar based. My mind was wandering, and someone near me commented that they were falling asleep.

Before the Chicks came on stage, sounds of Prince came over the P.A. with "Let's Go Crazy". It was a great way to get the crowd revved up. After that song, the Dixie Chicks took the stage with "The Long Way Around"; the stage set was black and white and the outfits were black and white as well, with mostly white instruments. I loved the contrast and didn't think it was stark or harsh. The crowd was on their feet for most of the night. They played songs from every stage in their back catalog, and sometimes I think my favorites are from Taking the Long Way, like "Lubbock or Leave It", "Easy Silence", "Silent House", or the anthemic "Not Ready to Make Nice" (which, to me, still has the 'eff you feel, which I love); but then the crowd (including me) got just as excited for the 'oldies', like "Wide Open Spaces" from the album of the same name; and from Fly, I think these songs got the biggest cheers, "Ready to Run", "Cowboy Take Me Away", "Sin Wagon", "Some Days You Gotta Dance", and the neo-feminist/Thelma and Louise ode "Goodbye Earl". The Dixie Chicks: Natalie Maines on lead vocals and guitar, sisters Emily Strayer on banjo, guitar and backing vocals and Marti Maguire on fiddle and backing vocals are a power trio; they really looked like they were having a great time. There wasn't a whole of lot chatter, but Maines was engaging when she did speak to the crowd. At the Cleveland/Blossom show, she commented on the Cavs and how it was clear the city was really supporting them and in Green Bay she hinted that she (or the band) picked Green Bay to win the next day in their band football pool. She has a great sense of humor, about herself, the band and stuff in general. In addition to their own songs, they did a few covers throughout the night, including songs by Patty Griffin, Bob Dylan, Stevie Nicks and Beyonce. I think they could do a ripping job on a Clash song, "London Calling", maybe "Rock the Casbah"? The walk-in music (the music playing before the show starts) reflected the variety and diversity in the Dixie Chicks taste and repertoire; apparently it greatly disturbed the less than enlightened man behind me, who was confused by the different styles. That wasn't the only thing he was confused by, but I'll skip it for now. Around halfway through, the band went off for an outfit change and came back for some stripped down songs ("Traveling Soldier", Beyonce's "Daddy Lessons"). The band was tight and first rate. They put the video screen behind them to good use, with a variety of videos, some just landscape shots, others with humorous film clips, others were digital creations. I hope it was clear to the Dixie Chicks that they were missed. I also hope it means they'll come back with some new music.


Blossom Music Center, 6/2016
Blossom Music Center, 6/2016


From way at the back of the pavilion, Blossom Music Center 6/2016





Resch Center, 9/24/16

Resch Center 9/24/16





Always use protection

Whiling away the time while staying at home

There is no denying that these are very strange and tumultuous we're living in. Obviously I haven't been blogging too much lately, i...