Movies from 2017: The Disaster Artist, The Big Sick, Lady Bird, Atomic Blonde

12/16/17 The Disaster Artist, not yet nominated, 2017

When I tell people that I saw The Disaster Artist, I usually get a perplexed look, like "why?". Um, because there is a good chance it will be nominated for an Oscar or two. And, it's actually pretty good. The movie, directed by James Franco, who also stars as Tommy Wiseau, is based on the making of Wiseau's cult film The Room (not to be confused with Room, starring Brie Larson). I have not seen The Room, but I kind of want to now. The Room is famous, or notorious, for being the worst movie ever made. Wiseau intended it to be a serious, dramatic piece, but, it didn't turn out that way. Wiseau befriends Greg, (played by Franco's younger brother, Dave) another struggling actor in San Francisco. Tommy is eccentric, not telling anyone, even Greg, where he is from or how he makes his money, and he has a most peculiar accent, and for the most part, he doesn't care what people think. He convinces Greg that they should move to Los Angeles where they would have a better chance at acting gigs. Um, that doesn't work out either, but not to be deterred, Tommy decides he will write, direct and produce his own movie. He rents out a studio, buys equipment and hires actors with limited or no experience. It's like watching a train wreck, you cannot turn away. James Franco seems to become Wiseau, and he's terrific. At the end of the film, scenes from the real film are shown side by side, and it's worse than you can imagine. In a guilty pleasure kind of way. I haven't seen The Room, but I think I'm going to add it to my list. Don't pass up The Disaster Artist just because you haven't seen The Room or it seems too weird.

12/16/17 The Big Sick, not yet nominated, 2017

I've been hearing and reading how fabulous The Big Sick was, and I was eager to see it. I was really disappointed. It's based on the true story of how comedian Kumail Nanjiani met his girlfriend, later wife, Emily (Zoe Kazan). Kumail is Pakistani, which he uses as part of his stand up act. His parents wish he was more traditional and have been trying to arrange a marriage for him. Some of the humor comes from parents being too parental to their adult kids; some of it is cultural, as Nanjiani lovingly mocks his parents' attempts to run his life and their misunderstanding, or unwillingness to understand, his choice of career; and relationship humor. Except I didn't really think it was funny, or not laugh out loud funny. Then, there's his girlfriend's illness, which brings her parents (Ray Romano and Holly Hunter) to town, and Kumail awkwardly entertains them. It was an original story, and a community that has not been heard from in the U.S., and I'm all for that, I just would have liked to laugh a little more.

12/16/17 Atomic Blonde, not yet nominated, 2017

Atomic Blonde is set in East Berlin during the Cold War, and Charlize Theron is Lorraine Broughton, a spy for MI-6. She meets up with a few bad Russians and a questionable British agent, played by James McAvoy. There are plot twists, double-crossings, a lot of action (Charlize Theron kicks ass and takes names), a pretty intense soundtrack, not a bad movie for a cold Saturday night. It didn't have the 'smarts' of the Bourne series or the humor I recently discovered in John Wick. Charlize Theron is always great to watch, as is James McAvoy; John Goodman is a shady CIA agent (is that redundant?), and I haven't seen him in a while. It was worth the $1.50 (or whatever) from Redbox.

12/17/17 Lady Bird, not yet nominated, 2017

I am usually hesitant when it comes to "coming of age" movies; it's always a crapshoot as to whether I'll like them or not. I saw The Edge of Seventeen the week before Lady Bird, and I thought it was okay, but not great (sometimes I think it's because I've aged out, but I think I can appreciate a good movie even if I can't relate to the content). I heard great things about Lady Bird, but wasn't too familiar with the story (I wanted to be surprised). Saoirse Ronan is Charlotte "Lady Bird" McPherson, a seventeen year old desperate to leave Sacramento for the East Coast, despite the financial and educational challenges, and the fierce resistance of her mother (Laurie Metcalf). The story follows Lady Bird's senior year at a private Catholic School as she struggles with new and old friendships (her friendship with Julianne (Beanie Feldstein) was fun to watch); joining the drama club; applying to elite colleges on the East Coast; dealing with tough family finances and her father (Tracy Letts) losing his job; and her controlling mother, who offers unflattering and unhelpful commentary on Lady Bird's choices. There are funny, poignant and very real moments as Lady Bird tries to find her feet and who she really is, and I really enjoyed it. The performances were top notch; Ronan giving the right level of angst, but also enjoyment, at experiencing this time of her life; Metcalf is really outstanding, having honed some of her 'motherly' skills on "The Big Bang Theory", but this her role here is not played for laughs; I have never seen Feldstein before, but she was funny and had great reactions to her onscreen friend. After saying all of this, I will say that I was surprised that I liked it after I learned that Greta Gerwig wrote and directed the movie. I vowed never to watch one of her films after almost poking my eyes out watching the self-indulgent and stupid Frances Ha (I will never get that time back). So, what a pleasant surprise this was. There are some heavy hitting movies out this holiday season, and sometimes a movie like this will get lost, but I hope not.


Whiling away the time while staying at home

There is no denying that these are very strange and tumultuous we're living in. Obviously I haven't been blogging too much lately, i...