Oscar noms are out and I have so much work to do: Darkest Hour, The Greatest Showman

1/7/18 Darkest Hour, nominated Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Production Design, Best Cinematography, Best Makeup and Hairstyling, Best Costume Design, 2017

Winston Churchill is one of the most confounding personalities of World War II, or maybe even the first half of the twentieth century. I say this not just after watching Darkest Hour, starring Gary Oldman as Churchill, but after reading a biography of his wife, Clementine Churchill. Churchill was in charge of one of the most devastating failures of World War I, Gallipoli, and it was a long road to regain the faith of his party, Parliament and the British people. This is important to understand the film, because it references it several times as Churchill's enemies try to dislodge him from his role as Prime Minister. Joe Wright directs this occasionally claustrophobic film, set in the Cabinet War Rooms, that were located underground, and from where Churchill directed the war. The timeframe for the film is the week or two leading up to the evacuation of Dunkirk, and Churchill's constant battles with former Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain (Ronald Pickup) and Viscount Halifax (Stephan Dillane). Churchill can be vitriolic and immovable in his manner, which is tempered by his unflaggingly faithful wife, Clementine (Kristin Scott Thomas) (who played a significant role during the war, not covered here, due to scope creep only, I'm sure). Oldman is terrific as Churchill, and he's barely recognizable under the makeup; he captured the power of Churchill's oratory, especially in his last speech, when even Chamberlain is forced to admit defeat. I would suggest watching Darkest Hour and then Dunkirk, and then reading Clementine: The Life of Mrs. Winston Churchill by Sonia Purnell, which provides great insight into Mrs. Churchill, but also Churchill himself.

Photos from the Cabinet War Rooms in London


1/7/18 The Hero, not nominated, 2017
Okay, here's a quick review because nominations just came out and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. I saw a clip for The Hero starring the mellifluous voice of Sam Elliott (well, all of him, but you know his voice best of all), and the reviews were great, and it was at Sundance, and I thought perhaps Elliott would be nominated for an Oscar. Well, as I found out today (and guessed after watching the movie), there were no nominations forthcoming. Elliott is Lee Hayden, an actor who hasn't done a lot lately, smokes way too much pot with his fellow actor buddy and drug dealer, Jeremy (Nick Offerman), when he meets Charlotte (Laura Prepon) who is buying drugs from Jeremy. There's a lot of existential angst as Lee deals with his mortality and his damaged relationship with his daughter, Lucy (Krysten Ritter). I wanted to care, but I couldn't.

1/20/18 The Greatest Showman, Nominated Best Original Song, 2017
Faithful readers (raise your hands) may remember my review of last year's multi-nominated film, La La Land was less than enthusiastic. It just didn't move me, in spite of all the hype. In The Greatest Showman, my response was the absolute opposite. I loved the music ("This is Me" is nominated for Best Original Song); I thought the set designs were gorgeous; the message was powerful and positive; Hugh Jackman as P.T. Barnum was a force, and yet, only one Oscar nomination. I cannot vouch for the historical accuracy of the film and Barnum's life or the beginnings of his circus, but this isn't necessarily about history, it's about people, and being different, and an outsider, and finding strength in being unique. Sure, it sounds heady and perhaps a little overreaching for a musical, and maybe I'm buying the hype, but I am not the only one. One of my movie friends saw it with me for the second time (I missed out original date with a yucky cold) and she loved it just as much. Michelle Williams is Charity Barnum, P.T.'s supportive and tolerant wife; Zac Efron is Phillip Carlyle, Barnum's partner, whose goal is to bring in more highbrow clientele. Of course, there are a few bumps in the road: people in the city don't like 'the freaks' and get violent and hostile; Barnum sees dollar signs when he brings Swedish singer, Jenny Lind to America for a tour, but loses sight of what's important; Carlyle and Anne (Zendaya) face the racism of Carlyle's family. All of these obstacles are overcome with nary a swear word, no bloody bodies and no uncontrolled sex, making it the perfect PG movie for family night. I'm glad I saw this on the big screen, and I urge you to go before it's gone.

Whiling away the time while staying at home

There is no denying that these are very strange and tumultuous we're living in. Obviously I haven't been blogging too much lately, i...