Nominated films: The Shape of Water, Wonder, Loving Vincent

I am so behind. Ahhhhhhh!

1/27/18 The Shape of Water, Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Original Screenplay, Best Original Score, Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, Best Production Design, Best Cinematography, Best Costumer Design, Best Film Editing, 2017

I got a hand cramp from typing out the list of nominations for The Shape of Water, and I'll probably be typing a lot on Oscar night. Guillermo del Toro directed this unlikely love story set in Baltimore in the early 1960s at the height of the Cold War. Sally Hawkins stars as Elisa, a mute janitor at a government facility; her best friend and co-worker, Zelda (Octavia Spencer) interprets for her at work. Elisa lives in a small apartment above a movie theater, and her neighbor, Giles (Richard Jenkins) is an ad agency artist who seems to have had some troubles at work, so he is home a lot, and watches a lot of old movies. He also has an unrequited crush on the guy at the pie shop. Anyway, back to the secret laboratory, Colonel Strickland (Michael Shannon) brings in a mysterious creature under tight security, and places the creature under the observation of Dr. Hoffstettler (Michael Stuhlbarg); the two men have competing interests (seemingly), Hoffstettler for scientific purposes, and Strickland for intelligence or secret weapon purposes. Elisa and Zelda happen to witness some odd things, and this brings them closer to Strickland than any normal human would want to be, but it brings Elisa closer to the creature as well. The creature reminded me of Abe from Hellboy (also a del Toro film) and was played by the same actor that played Abe, Doug Jones. Elisa forms a bond with the creature, using sign language to communicate, and eventually hatches a plan to free him from the sadistic Strickland, which involves a Zelda and Giles, and begins a cautious alliance with Hoffstettler. Elisa keeps the creature in her apartment, in the tub, but that's really not where it should be, so she plans a time to release it back into the water. Unfortunately, it's not that easy as Strickland is hot on their heels. Hoffstettler has some secrets of his own, like his Soviet identity and spy activity (this isn't a spoiler). The rest I will leave up to you to see for yourself. I hope you do; I know del Toro isn't for everyone, and fantasy/science fiction is not everyone's cup of tea, but I really enjoyed The Shape of Water on so many levels: the cast is terrific - Hawkins conveys emotions without a word (except for a brief sound/utterance), using her hands and her facial expressions, I have seen her in a few movies and really enjoy her work; Spencer is, well, Octavia Spencer, she delivers wisdom, smart assery and toughness, and acts with Hawkins, which I would imagine can be difficult without lines to react to; you've seen Richard Jenkins, and you're scratching your head to remember where, but he is wonderful as a frustrated artist and gay man in the 1960s before it was accepted, as well as acting with Hawkins in the same way that Spencer does, basically talking to himself. Stuhlbarg and Shannon are two of the busiest guys in film, you can find them in at least three or four movies a year (maybe more, this isn't very scientific); playing all different kinds of characters. It's gorgeously filmed, the sets are fabulous. I do expect it to win several awards. I will say, as a warning, that there are parts that seem gratuitously gory, but it's done in a funny way (if that makes sense). It wasn't necessary, and I did cringe, but I got over it. 

1/30/18 Wonder, nominated Best Makeup and Hairstyling, 2017

I have not been impressed by most of the nominated films this year. I'm not sure why that is, per haps the Grinch has taken up residence in my dark soul (that is probably a bit melodramatic, but it's how I feel). So when I come across a movie that either I had no expectations (as in I wasn't too pressed to see it) or had lower expectations and then I'm blown away, I love it. That's how I felt about The Greatest Showman, and how I feel about Wonder starring Julia Roberts, Owen Wilson and Jacob Tremblay (who stole my heart in Room). I thought it would be cute, a feel good movie, you know, okay. But something hit me as I watched it, on a Tuesday night for gosh sakes, and I couldn't wait to tell people about it the next day. Tremblay is Auggie Pullman, a young middle schooler who was born with Treacher Collins Syndrome a genetic disorder that presents in facial deformities, possible seeing and hearing problems, but it does not necessarily mean intellectual limitations, as Auggie shows everyone. He's been homeschooled by his mom (Julia Roberts), but she and his father (Owen Wilson) think it would be best for Auggie to attend Beecher Prep. Going to a new school, under almost any circumstances, can be stressful and scary, so the principal, Mr. Tushman (Mandy Patinkin) arranges for three students to meet with Auggie and take him around the school. This has mixed results as we shall see. Auggie has an older sister, Via, who acknowledges that she is second fiddle to Auggie's needs, and sometimes she understands, and other times, she gets resentful. In fact, one thing that I liked about the movie is that showed both sides to a couple of the different relationships, which I thought was a nice reminder that even though we know what's going on in our mind/world, we don't always know what the other person is thinking or feeling, and perhaps we should be a little more understanding. This is a great movie for parents to bring their kids, especially in this day of heightened awareness of bullying and recognizing our differences, but also our similarities. Someone asked me if the movie was sad, and I said there are moments where you might feel sad, but overall, it's incredibly uplifting, but also pretty realistic, and not in a corny way. I don't think there are enough family movies, but this is one for you. Tremblay is buried under the makeup (which is very good), but he makes Auggie's personality, with all of his early adolescent flaws, come through. The rest of the cast is also terrific. So glad this was on the list.

2/3/18 Loving Vincent, nominated Best Animated Feature, 2017
Van Gogh, Rijksmuseum
If you like animated films and different styles of animation, this film is definitely for you. Loving Vincent is nominated for Best Animated Feature, and I'm afraid it will get overlooked by Coco (which I have yet to see). It is the first fully hand painted feature film, not computer generated or hand drawn, but hand painted, and if there was no dialog, just the beautiful scenes interpreting or presenting Vincent Van Gogh's paintings, it would still be amazing. There is a story, and it is about Joseph Roulin, a friend of Van Gogh's and a postman, trying to get one last letter of Vincent's to his brother, Theo. Roulin hands the task to his seemingly rudderless son, Armand, who really doesn't want to do it. Armand takes the letter and retraces Van Gogh's last days, meeting with people from Vincent's life (and who feature in his paintings). Armand starts his journey reluctantly, but he slowly becomes more and more interested in Vincent and the circumstances surrounding his death. This is a category that I usually disagree with the nominees and the ultimate winner; to me, the animation (quality, technique) is as important as the subject/narrative, etc., and in my opinion, that's not always the case. If you're an art lover, you should check out this film.

Whiling away the time while staying at home

There is no denying that these are very strange and tumultuous we're living in. Obviously I haven't been blogging too much lately, i...