A thumbs up for The Bourne Ultimatum, but a pass on Melvin and Howard and a BIG YES for Deadpool 2

5/6/18 The Bourne Ultimatum, Best Film Editing, Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, 2007

The Bourne Ultimatum is the third in the Bourne series featuring Matt Damon as Jason Bourne. It continues the adventure of Jason Bourne trying to learn who he is or was and find the people behind the various programs, in this case Operation Treadstone. I'm not sure how much of the plot I really need to recap, because it's not necessarily the plot that gets me watching every time it's on television, which seems to be once a month. I love the action and fast pace. I also enjoy the different locales: India, Paris, London, Tangier, New York.  For me, it's totally escapist, I don't think too much about the logic or the possibility or reality of Jason Bourne doing all of these crazy things, I just like watching him do them. So, if you're looking for a summer time movie for the cabin or your regular house, I would suggest any, or all, of the Bourne films (maybe not The Bourne Legacy if you're pushed for time).


5/12/18 Melvin and Howard, Best Supporting Actress, Best Original Screenplay, 1980

I waited a long time to finally watch this movie, and I have to say...what a disappointment. The other movies nominated for Best Original Screenplay, including Brubaker and Private Benjamin were better than Melvin and Howard; I would say the same for the actresses nominated for Best Supporting Actresses (Mary Steenburgen won), including Eileen Brennan in Private Benjamin and Cathy Moriarty in Ragin Bull. Maybe it's because I thought the movie would be more about Howard Hughes and Melvin Dummar's relationship or the mystery of the will that Hughes allegedly left leaving Dummars a huge part of his estate. It wasn't. It was about 30-45 minutes about that, and the rest about Dummars' pretty dead end life; his failed marriage, failed jobs and poor money management. I guess at the time this was groundbreaking and a depiction of the American dream. Whatever. I didn't even like Jason Robards as Howard Hughes.

5/26/18 Deadpool 2, not yet nominated, 2018

Truth be told, I don't know if Deadpool 2 will be nominated for any Oscars (there will be a lot of competition in the technical categories), but who cares? It was a fabulous way to spend a morning. If you don't know, Ryan Reynolds is Deadpool and Josh Brolin is a Terminator-like soldier from the future, Cable. Deadpool often breaks "the fourth wall" by speaking directly to the audience at different points in the film. This was done in the first film as well; it's not a technique that always works, it can be annoying or ruin the flow of a movie, however, it works here. Deadpool 2 picks up a little after the first movie ends, with Wade Wilson/Deadpool and his girlfriend, Vanessa, making goo goo eyes at each other, and making plans for a family together. Unfortunately, events take a turn for the worst, and leaves us a Deadpool intent on vengeance. He re-connects with Colossus (of the X-Men) and tries to find purpose as an X-Men trainee. This is how he meets Firefist/Russell Collins, a distraught and angry fifteen year old mutant who is trying to destroy his home, the Mutant Reeducation Center, because of abuse. In his attempt to help, Deadpool goes a little far, and he and Firefist are both collared with a device that nullifies their powers and sent to the "Icebox", a prison for mutants. Because he no longer has any powers, Wade pushes Russell away because he can't protect him, but that's hard to explain to a kid who has formed an attachment. In the meantime, Cable makes his appearance, and for reasons unknown to the viewer, he is after Russell. That's all the plot you're going to get since the movie just came out a week ago. Plot points aside, there is a lot going on in the movie: oblique, and not so oblique, references to other Marvel movies, specifically the X-Men franchise; there are a few scenes of dismemberment (mostly Deadpool's, so it all kind of works out); there is a reference to the movie Say Anything and the boombox scene; the language is still very R-Rated, so if the violence doesn't get you to keep your young wannabe adult at home, think about how you want to explain the use of the C-word or certain adult activities to them; the humor is as fast as the action. Brolin is great as Cable plays the straight man to Deadpool's constant clowning. There is a scene in the movie that made me (and the rest of the audience) laugh so hard that I cried. All I'll say is little legs. If you've seen it you know what I'm talking about, and if you haven't yet, I don't want to ruin it. Keep an eye out for Domino, one of Deadpool's X-Force. Sometimes movies can be too cute, but I don't think that's the case here, the humor is smart and crude and whatever is in between. I do have a couple of complaints: first, could we please have more Blind Al (Leslie Uggams)? I just love her. Second, it's not so much about the movie, but the THIRTY F#*@(ING (tip of the hat to Deadpool) minutes of trailers. Movie time was 10:30, it didn't start until 10:57. I warned my friend that the last two trailers (at my theater) were R-Rated (and the audience was warned); the first one was fine, just a lot of the F word; the second one, about what the Muppets do when the kids aren't around, was pretty gross, and I may need therapy. I don't ever, EVER, need to see Muppets having sex. Totally unnecessary. I may going to see Deadpool 2 again, but I'll show up 20 minutes late. Oh, make sure to stay through the credits.

Did you know? Josh Brolin has been in three Marvel films: Jonah Hex, Avengers: Infinity War, Deadpool 2.

Whiling away the time while staying at home

There is no denying that these are very strange and tumultuous we're living in. Obviously I haven't been blogging too much lately, i...