"Notorious" RBG, The ORIGINAL Planet of the Apes and Paul Newman as The Hustler

6/7/18 RBG, 2018, not yet nominated

"Notorious RBG", as Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is fondly known, as become a celebrity in certain liberal circles, which is not exactly what she had in mind when she embarked on her journey through law school in the 1950s. I'm fairly certain that she didn't think there would be a hugely successfully Kickstarter campaign to create and sell an action figure of her. The documentary goes back and forth between current day and the past, including home movies, interviews with childhood friend and law school classmates, her children and grandchildren, and interviews with Justice Ginsburg. She may remind you of your own grandmother (she reminds me of my mom's 94 year old neighbor; they're about the same height), and she can be grandmotherly, but she can also be sharp with her wit and words when it comes to her interpretation of the Constitution and views on social equality. The documentary provides a primer on the Supreme Court, the politics involved (it's worse now, though), it's history and the evolution of law in the United States. I watched it with my brother, who is much younger than I am, and he didn't know that Joe Biden was a U.S. Senator (there are news clips of RBG's confirmation hearing, and Biden was Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee), or some of the other scads of information the movie presents. He liked it (a lot more than he thought he would when I dragged him to it). During the documentary, the producer or director shows her clips of Kate McKinnon's imitation, and she laughed and thought it was pretty good. You certainly get a multi-dimensional look into RBG's personality, which left me with a great appreciation and respect for her service to our country.

6/9/18 The Hustler, Best Art Direction - Set Direction, Black and White, Best Cinematography, Black and White, National Film Registry, 1961

The first time I saw The Hustler I fell asleep; I'm sure I was just exhausted. I did make it through the second time, and I thought it was okay, but not great. I know if my cousin is reading this he saying something like, "Okay? Tracer, what the hell is wrong with you? Newman was great, sublime, and George C. Scott was villainous without raising his voice (or something)". I'm sure this isn't the last time I'll disappoint him. Paul Newman was nominated for Best Actor in his role as "Fast" Eddie Felson (he won the Oscar 25 years later as Eddie in The Color of Money); Newman lost to Maximillian Schell for his role in Judgment at Nuremberg. Eddie Felson is a pool hustler; he and his manager go around to different cities looking to set up some good hustles, and looking for the big score. He eventually goes up against the best, Minnesota Fats (Jackie Gleason), and after over twenty hours of pool, loses it all. Eddie parts ways with his long time manager, Charlie, and picks up with Bert Gordon (George C. Scott), a professional gambler and Eddie's 'sponsor'. It's an antagonistic relationship from the start; Gordon thinks that Felson is a born loser, but he's still willing to front him money for a rematch against Minnesota Fats. Felson also starts seeing Sarah (Piper Laurie), an unhappy alcoholic with no visible means of support, who has an intense dislike and distrust of Gordon. Newman and Scott seem so effortless in their roles; Laurie is a bit much, but I think that's how a lot of female roles were written and acted - just over the top melodrama. Sarah does have one of the pivotal scenes in the film, it reveals Eddie as a person with feelings, because up to that point, he was extremely self-centered; after that, he's a little less so. I guess I did not get the deeper meaning that was apparently intended, I enjoyed Newman's performance, but would I say you have to see this movie? Sorry, but I would not. I'm sure I'm going to movie hell.

6/10/18 Planet of the Apes, Honorary Oscar for Achievement in Makeup, National Film Registry, 1968

A classic, that's what Planet of the Apes is, a classic. We may look back fifty years and think the make up and the special effects were naïve and basic, but back then, the make up was definitely groundbreaking, and the whole concept of this other world, which turns out to be our world, just a few thousand years in the future, was mind blowing. Charlton Heston as George Taylor, lands on an unknown planet with his two surviving fellow time-travelling astronauts. As they explore this new world, they eventually find other human-like beings, and are surprised to find gorillas on horseback. This is their introduction to the Planet of the Apes. Taylor is imprisoned where he is examined by Zira (Kim Hunter), and he tries to communicate, which the apes and gorillas find amusing. Taylor is very combative, and when he is grabbed by one of the gorillas, he utters one of the most famous lines in filmdom, "Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape."  Taylor convinces Zira and her fiancé, Cornelius (Roddy McDowell), an archeologist, that he is an intelligent being and that he might have information about the past. They run up against the leaders of the community, including Dr. Zaius (Maurice Evans), who want to castrate him and definitely do not want to hear his story. Taylor soon figures out that he may actually be on Earth. In addition to a unique storyline and innovative make up, I always felt (even as a younger person) the undercurrent of social commentary. I would have to say that this is one of my favorite movies from growing up.

Whiling away the time while staying at home

There is no denying that these are very strange and tumultuous we're living in. Obviously I haven't been blogging too much lately, i...