Looking for a good Mechanic in York - Mike & the Mechanics at the Barbican

3/19/19
The whole purpose for this trip across the Atlantic was to see Mike & the Mechanics in York at the Barbican. I saw the band a few years ago (maybe 2014/2015?) in Milwaukee at the Pabst Theater. I love these smaller theaters because there isn't a bad seat in the house (mostly). As it happened, my seat was in the center, row H, so about 8 rows from the front, perfect. The demographic skewed older (which I suppose is all a matter of perspective), but there were some younger fans there as well. I think it was pretty much sold out and the crowd wasn't too rowdy, but definitely enjoying the show, and then towards the end, there was some serious hand waving and rocking out. Almost all of my favorites were played and some new songs from the last few albums (The Road, Let me Fly, Out of the Blue) with the 'new' lineup featuring singers Andrew Roachford and Tim Howar (who gave me a hug, but more on that later).
 The setlist was a good mix of new and old and some Genesis covers. Mike Rutherford, playing guitars and bass, looked like he was having a great time, and let Roachford and Howar do the typical lead singer interaction with the crowd, but he also did some chatting. This band has been (mostly) together for about ten years, and they have put their own touches on the "classics" like "All I Need is a Miracle", "Another Cup of Coffee", "Silent Running", "The Living Years", "Beggar on a Beach of Gold" (dedicated to the late Paul Young) and "Word of Mouth" which featured brief solos from the band, who were introduced by the energetic Tim Howar. Roachford is the soul and Howar is the rock, but I think that's too easy, and a bit unfair, because they are fabulous singers, both with a lot of energy and passion, and even though they are 'slotted' to sing Paul Carrack's songs (Roachford) and Paul Young's (Howar), they back each other up and when they sing together, it sounds really, really great. As they perform the newer songs ("Let Me Fly", "One Way", "Try to Save Me", "Out of the Blue"), it seemed to me, there was more crossover and more blending of their voices. The covers (although, is it really a cover if the songwriter is performing the song?) included an acoustic version of "Follow You, Follow Me", one of the best versions of "Land of Confusion" I've heard (and I really dislike that song generally) and "I Can't Dance" (another not favorite song, but it allowed Rutherford to rip into it), all featuring Tim Howar on vocals. Andrew Roachford sang his UK hit "Cuddly Toy", which got him up from the keyboards to dance and he really worked the crowd. There was something that reminded me of Marvin Gaye or Otis Redding, but that may be my own imagination. Whatever it was, the crowd was really into it. The night ended with "Word of Mouth" and the crowd was up on their feet, and I was sad to see the night end.


The band is made up of some great musicians, a couple who might be familiar faces outside of the Mechanics: Gary Wallis has drummed with the Mechanics for 25 years, but has also played with Pink Floyd, Tom Jones, 10cc and others, and he was a beast. Anthony Drennan actually played on the last Genesis studio album and tour (the last before the reunion tour, anyway), but has played guitar and bass with Clannad, The Corrs, Paul Brady and others. Luke Juby played keyboards, bass and sax, and has his own band as well. I hung out after the concert, lurking by the bus and waited for the band. They did come out, and they were very nice and willing to sign and chat a bit. I was going to shake Tim Howar's hand (he is so approachable and friendly), and he said "I'm Canadian and we hug". Okey doke. Hug away.




Thanks guys!




Whiling away the time while staying at home

There is no denying that these are very strange and tumultuous we're living in. Obviously I haven't been blogging too much lately, i...