Alfred Hitchcock Presents - The Man Who Knew Too Much

The Man Who Knew Too Much, 3/31/13, Best Song, 1956

If a Hitchcock film was to win an Academy Award, I would not have guessed it would be for Best Song, but that's what happened. Que Sera, Sera sung by the incredible Doris Day, won for Best Song from The Man Who Knew Too Much which also starred James Stewart. The movie is a suspense filled story that starts in Marrakesh, Morocco and ends in London, England. Stewart and Day play the McKennas a couple traveling with their young son through Europe and North Africa. They meet up with a mystery man who involves them in his international caper. To tell you much more risks ruining the story and the drama. I will say Doris Day is wonderful as the former stage performer/singer. She holds her own with James Stewart and the other actors, some of whom were veterans of the British stage and screen.

The movie holds up today; I mean, it's obviously from a different time period, you'd be hard pressed to find tourists today wearing suits and hats anywhere, but other than that, I really think a lot of people will enjoy it, if you haven't seen. I typically don't seek out Hitchcock movies, but because of this task ahead of me, I'm experiencing a lot of things I normally would not, and for the most part, I'm pleased. There is some humor, interesting views of Morocco, drama and suspense and an interesting use of music (it almost takes on the role of a character). I recommend watching the special features on the DVD, particularly the making of the movie; I would have liked to see an interview with Day about her role, but that was not to be. Que sera, sera. The movie is a rarity today, with no swearing and no significant violence. As for the song, I was thinking as I was watching how far we've come in 56 years, with a song like Que sera, sera to Skyfall (not saying one is better than the other, just really different). Que sera is actually performed by Day during the movie and does play a part in the story (you'll have to watch to find out what).

It's been a movie filled weekend, and I think my brain is tired, so I apologize if this is a little lackluster, because the movie certainly was not. I have Spellbound, another Hitchcock movie still in the hopper for this week (or next weekend). (insert profile of Alfred Hitchcock here).

Whiling away the time while staying at home

There is no denying that these are very strange and tumultuous we're living in. Obviously I haven't been blogging too much lately, i...