I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore


Network 10/13/12 Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress 1976

“I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore”, no, I’m fine, but we've all heard this quote at some time or another, and I finally saw the source of the quote, Network a movie about television, specifically the television news business. Peter Finch, who won for Best Actor (posthumously), yelled this and many other things as troubled/enlightened news anchor, Howard Beale. There is a lot of yelling in the movie and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Overall, the movie works. Sidney Lumet (12 Angry Men amongst others) directed and Paddy Chayefsky (Marty) wrote it. It was released in 1976, but if you added some technological updates, like social networks and cable news, it could be made now; in fact, I’m surprised it hasn't been remade given the dearth of originality in Hollywood. Howard Beale is a news anchor in the twilight of his career, but he makes a comeback as a voice of the people, railing against The Establishment, much to the chagrin of the news producers. Beale’s unscripted, profanity-laden diatribes strike a chord with the audiences. Faye Dunaway, as Diana Christensen, head of the programming department, thinks he’s brilliant; Dunaway won the award for Best Actress for her ambitious and aggressive portrayal.  The movie is actually filled with great performances from a cast of greats: William Holden (he was nominated as Best Supporting Actor, but lost out to Ned Beatty, his co-star in the movie),Ned Beatty and Robert Duvall; Beatrice Straight won for the Best Supporting Actress (I quibble with this one; her performance was good, very brief, but I don’t understand how it was better than Jane Seymour’s in All the President’s Men) or Marlene Warfield who played Laurene Hobbs also from Network, who was wonderful as the over-the-top Angela Davis-like member of the Ecumenical Liberation Army. The movie is a satire, so everything should be taken with a grain of salt (note the Mao-Tse Tung Hour). I love watching William Holden, I think he may be underrated, and certainly unappreciated by today’s audiences (see The Bridge on the River Kwai, which also has the shape-shifting Alec Guiness). There is so much going on in this movie, and it’s very fast-paced, and I hardly noticed the running time (which I almost ALWAYS notice). If you’re a fan of television, television history, enjoy great acting and smart writing, you should watch this. You may enjoy comparing it to television today and how incredibly prescient Chayefsky was in his characterization today's infotainment. You’re welcome.

In case you are keeping track, I have 808 winners to watch, and I think it may take around 3 years to finish, or at least get current. A few people have asked me the most obvious question of 'Why?' Well, I like to know where things come from, including famous quotes in their original context, the influence of one director or actor on another, etc. It's kind of fun understanding the whole origin of Howard Beale's breakdown and the genesis of his famous phrase, quoted above. Or being able to see the evolution of an actor's career (Conchata Farrell has a small role in Network and is now the wise-cracking housekeeper on Two and a Half Men). If you have any thoughts on the next movies I should watch, let me know. I'll see if Netflix or the library will oblige.

Whiling away the time while staying at home

There is no denying that these are very strange and tumultuous we're living in. Obviously I haven't been blogging too much lately, i...