Just so you don't forget me

I'm not quite in withdrawal, but I haven't watched a full length feature film since last Saturday. That does not mean my retinas (and precious things they are) have been lazy. Oh contraire. Here's what has passed before my eyes:

The final season of Downton Abbey. It was one for the books, that's for sure. I'll miss it, but it was time to go, or at least wind down. What I loved is that no matter how it seemed to drag on occasionally, I always missed it when it was over. I don't watch it on PBS but I get the whole season on DVD, so I probably overload on the Anna/Bates drama or Queen, I mean Lady Mary melodrama, etc., but it's the best way to watch it for me. If you are one of the few who haven't seen it, you should give it a try.

Genesis: Classic Quartet with piano - yeah, well, I had to, just to see it or hear it. Around 10 Genesis songs are classically arranged with a string quartet and piano, just like the title says. Visually it's not all that much, but the music was nice (that's kind of banal, isn't it?), but I do like those types of arrangements for Genesis, especially since a lot of their music lends themselves to that. It's not "Invisible Touch", so don't make that mistake.

Nurse Jackie - I am in the early days of season three and I still have a love/hate relationship with Nurse Jackie (Edie Falco). She's narcissistic, a liar on a grand scale, but an incredibly caring nurse. Merritt Wever is my favorite as Zoey; her non-verbal performance is hilarious, she does more with a shrug at the most awkward moments than some people do with lines of dialogue. Anyway, I need to wean myself away from it because I have book I have renewed twice and need to get it back to library.

I have several movies queued up for this weekend (don't worry, Deadpool is coming soon) including Woman Under the Influence (Gena Rowlands), His Girl Friday (Cary Grant), Goodfellas and Meet Me in St. Louis (Judy Garland). These are from the BBC Best 100 American Movies list.

So, we'll see you next week with reviews of these classics.

Whiling away the time while staying at home

There is no denying that these are very strange and tumultuous we're living in. Obviously I haven't been blogging too much lately, i...