Two current films - Deadpool and Zootopia

3/13/16 Deadpool, 2016 (not child friendly)

I want to take a few moments to address whether Deadpool is suitable for kids. NO. Okay, since your 11 year old is probably whining and asking "Why-yyy?" Here's why: at least two decapitations, one amputation (limb sawed off and stump clearly shown), uses of the 'f-bomb' as a verb and interjection, a visit to an adult club, adult humor from beginning to end - verbally and visually. Oh, and don't forget the previews, you knobs. When you go to an R-rated film, the trailers tend to be more adult, and this was no exception; there were scenes from The Purge - Election Year and I was very disturbed. Seriously, Deadpool himself told you not to bring the kiddies - listen to him unless you want to explain what those women were doing. Yeah, thought so.

Now that we have that out of the way, for you grown ups, or at least those over 18 - it is great. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and Ryan Reynolds' humor comes through and seems to fit better than it did in Green Lantern. The movie is told in flashbacks with Deadpool providing running commentary, breaking the 4th wall on several occasions. Reynolds is Wade Wilson/Deadpool, a mercenary-type fellow who after finding the love of his life, Vanessa (Morena Baccarin), is diagnosed with cancer. He meets up with some people who offer him a chance for a cure, but there may be a few side effects. Ajax is the main bad guy and his right-hand woman is Angel Dust who is incredibly strong, okay, REALLY strong. There is a connection to the X-Men, although we don't get the big names like Wolverine, Beast or even Nightcrawler. We do get Colossus, who is kind of a scene stealer, and we also get Negasonic Teenage Warhead (yeah, that's what I said) who is an X-Men in training. Deadpool has two fun 'sidekicks', Weasel and Blind Al (played by the wonderfully foul-mouthed Leslie Uggams, who gives as good as she gets). They don't do a whole lot, except provide witty repartee with Deadpool. The plot is essentially Deadpool trying to catch up with Ajax and change back to the way he was. Everything in between is pure delight. I hope I have given you enough information without revealing anything. Looking forward to the sequel.

Special Guest Review Zootopia, 2016 (child friendly)

So, you may have noticed that it can take me weeks, months, and occasionally years to see a movie. That's not necessarily a reflection on the movie, just my time and/or budget. In an effort to be a little more timely, I have asked for some young friends to help me out (in other words, I've outsourced). I think I made the right decision. I'll still see the movie, especially based on the reviews below; and I'll review it myself because, well, I can't help it. But I know I can leave the blog in good hands when the time comes. I haven't done any editing, I think they are great as they are. Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the help. (Of course, they owe me because I did show up at their house on Easter years ago in a bunny suit.)
Connor:

I’ll be honest. When I saw the commercials for the latest and greatest movie, Zootopia, I didn’t really think highly of it. I thought, “Wow, another dorky animal movie. Can’t wait.” I did actually end up going to see it. It was a lot better than I thought it would be. Overall, Zootopia was a fun, exciting, thrilling, and hilarious film where the underdog truly gets her chance to shine. The premise is that animals have learned not to be savage predator or meek prey, but have rather learned to live together and create a society that is portrayed much like ours. The little bunny known as Judy Hopps, (played by Ginnifer Goodwin), is our main character. As a child, her dream was to become a cop and to protect Zootopia. Her ultimate goal, which is told and shown throughout the entire movie, is to make the world a better place. Coming from a family of small carrot farmers, this wasn’t exactly the easiest thing to accomplish. Fortunately, being bullied as a child only made her more dedicated. Through hard work, determination, persistence, confidence, and willpower, she finally made her way to the ZPD, (Zootopia Police Department.) However, trouble stirs in Zootopia, and Lt. Judy Hopps is determined to solve the case. From sluggish sloths to a mysteriously savage otter, Judy and her sly fox partner must travel throughout Zootopia, meeting both friends and enemies, and discovering clues to help clarify the mystery. Join Judy and many other lovable characters for their adventure in this entertaining and lively movie. Trust me, Zootopia is not a movie to miss.

Carter:

It was funny. My favorite character was Flash. My favorite part was when they find the secret room with all of the vicious animals. It was my favorite part because it was exciting. One funny part was when they go to the DMV and everyone there was a sloth. It also had a happy ending.

Whiling away the time while staying at home

There is no denying that these are very strange and tumultuous we're living in. Obviously I haven't been blogging too much lately, i...