Moulin Rouge times two and Bette Davis in Dark Victory

11/10/18 Dark Victory, 1939
I've been reading a lot of biographies lately of actors, and recently I finished Ed Sikov's book Dark Victory: The Life of Bette Davis, and became interested in seeing Dark Victory. Davis was nominated Best Actress for her role as Judith Traherne, but lost to Vivien Leigh in a small film called Gone with the Wind. Judith is a spirited socialite who begins to get mysterious headaches. The headaches are diagnosed as something much more serious by Dr. Frederick Steele (George Brent). Despite surgery, Judith is getting worse, but Dr. Steele, who later becomes Judith's husband, and her best friend Ann (Geraldine Fitzgerald) decide to keep the news from Judith. Bette Davis had a big personality and so does Judith Traherne who is determined to live as full a life as she can, until she can't any longer. I read about the movie in the biography, so I wasn't surprised by the ending, but I paid a lot of attention, and was really moved by Davis's performance. Even when Davis is over the top, it's hard not to watch, you want to see what she'll do or say. Dark Victory was very good, Davis was at the top of her game, Humphrey Bogart, as Michael O'Leary, has a terrible Irish accent. I wouldn't recommend this as a holiday film, it's a bit of a downer, but perhaps something for the winter nights ahead. (I can't even say I can cross this off a list :( ).



12/1/18 Moulin Rouge, Best Art Direction, Best Costume Design, 1952

Jose Ferrer stars as Henri de Toulouse-Latrec in this gorgeous film written and directed by John Huston. The opening fifteen minutes of Moulin Rouge are some of the most colorful I've seen. Eye popping. Moulin Rouge is set in 1890s  and early 1900s Paris and centers on Toulouse-Latrec and his melancholy life of one-sided love affairs with prostitutes, a disappointed father and the life long affects of a childhood accident that stunted his growth. Ferrer does double duty as Latrec and his father, and in the days before CGI, Ferrer came up with some unique ways to portray the short painter. Latrec painted scenes of Paris and Parisian life in the cafes and nightclubs and Huston brings them to life. If you're looking for an art history lesson on the Post-Impressionists told through cinema, double this up with Lust for Life about Vincent Van Gogh (Kirk Douglas).


12/1/18 Moulin Rouge!, Best Art Direction, Best Costume Design, 2001

I didn't realize until I just typed it out that both Moulin Rouge films were nominated for many Oscars, but only won two, and they won the same two awards. That might be a coincidence, but it was no coincidence that I watched (re-watched) both movies on the same day; they were actually packaged together from the library. Serendipity. There is no doubt that the Baz Luhrman-directed film is full of bombastic color and extraordinary costumes and sets, or that I did, in spite of myself, enjoy the soundtrack, but other than that, meh. I understand I am probably in the minority, but I really didn't like the film as a whole, in fact, I vaguely recall falling asleep the first time I watched it. Style above substance works for me in short bursts, but two hours was too much (it felt a lot longer). This version of Moulin Rouge does have a place for Toulouse-Latrec (this time played by John Leguizamo), but focuses on struggling writer, Christian (Ewan McGregor) and his love affair with the lovely, but doomed, Satine (Nicole Kidman), and the motley crew that surround them. I am so disinterested, which is probably why it took two weeks to write this crap of a review. I'll do better.

Whiling away the time while staying at home

There is no denying that these are very strange and tumultuous we're living in. Obviously I haven't been blogging too much lately, i...