Slogging through The Lists: Black Narcissus, Albert Schweitzer and a paean to Garlic

If this was my regular job, I would have been fired by now. It's not that I haven't been watching movies, clearly, if you look at the list of films below, but I have found myself easily distracted by planning my trip to Iceland (see my companion travel blog) or not all that inspired by the films. It dawned on me that Oscar nominations will be coming out soon and I'm way behind on 2018 movies, so I best get a move on for this backlog. I will ask for your indulgence, yet again, for any skimpiness in the following reviews.

11/7/18 Black Narcissus, Best Art Direction, Best Cinematography, 1947

The best thing about this film is the cinematography because the story is so full of holes you might think you're eating Swiss cheese. The movie is set in a convent in the Himalayas where the Anglican nuns want to start a hospital and school in a former seraglio (for the harem in a past age). There are a couple of different stories going on, none of which are told very completely. Sister Superior Clodagh (Deborah Kerr) is running from a failed romance in Ireland and trying to focus on her new project, but Mr. Dean, who is the British liaison between the convent and the local prince, is an unwanted distraction. Dean has no respect for the church or propriety as he wanders in and out of the Sisters' quarters in skimpy clothing, sometimes drunk. Sister Ruth (Kathleen Byron) has some emotional or mental issues that are alluded to, but never fully explained, which is annoying because they are kind of important to the story. There is another storyline involving the heir to the throne falls in love with a lower caste dancing girl (Jean Simmons). I think I might have enjoyed the film a lot more if the story wasn't so badly told. I did enjoy the photography which brought incredible colors and shadows to the screen. 

11/9/18 Albert Schweitzer, Best Documentary, 1957

I did a report on Doctor Albert Schweitzer back in fifth or sixth grade, and I thought he was a pretty amazing man back then. I've learned a little more over the years, and was looking forward to watching this Oscar winning documentary. The film showed Schweitzer at home in Germany as well as in Gabon, Africa, where he carried out his missionary work. The documentary was made while Schweitzer was still alive, and is more of an homage to the man and his work, than a completely objective documentary. Of course, the way we look at something in the 21st century is different than the lens used in the late 1950s; views on colonialism, paternalistic attitudes, medical treatments have changed, and a modern documentary might portray Schweitzer in a different way. The documentary was informative, and it was interesting to see footage of Schweitzer and his family and his colleagues, but the narrative was less satisfying. I think I would recommend reading a good biography instead of watching this film.

11/9/18 Chan is Missing, 1982, National Film Registry

Chan is Missing is set in San Francisco in Chinatown, and features a nephew and an uncle who are hoping to get their own cab license. Along the way, the man who was helping them, Chan Hung, goes missing, and Jo and Steve start looking for him. The film doesn't seem like a 1982 mystery, more like something from the 1940s or 1950s, which was kind of the goal. There were parts of the movie I really liked; I thought the uncle (Wood Moy) was an engaging narrator, and those were my favorite parts of the movie. I'm not familiar at all with the Charlie Chan movies from the 1930s and 1940s, except that he was a detective, portrayed in most films by a white actor, so I don't know if that would give me a more insight into the film. 

11/10/18 Itzhak, not yet nominated, 2018

If you're feeling a little depressed or bitter this holiday season, please let me suggest Itzhak to you. This documentary is about Itzhak Perlman, the violinist who doubles as a national treasure for the United States and Israel. The film features interviews with Perlman and his wife, Toby, as well as footage from Perlman's plethora of performances over the years. There is something that is endearing and infectious about Perlman's love of life, music, food and family; everything is a possibility. It's an attitude he has probably had his whole life, since he contracted polio when he was four years old, and then came to America to study at Juilliard, and having to learn English. The film shows Perlman playing solo, with other classical artists, as well as Billy Joel. Lately when I watch a movie, the only thing I can think of is, when will this be over? But I didn't want this movie to end. It was on PBS, but may also be on DVD/streaming. Watch this movie; you may cry tears of joy or laugh or just hurt yourself smiling, but whatever you do, I think you will enjoy it (even if you think you don't like classical music). I don't know if this will be nominated for Beset Documentary, but, I don't care, I really liked it.

11/19/18 Garlic is as Good as Ten Mothers, 1980, National Film Registry

Who needs an hour-long documentary on the benefits of garlic? Apparently we did. I think fifteen minutes would have been great, but I guess director Les Blank disagreed. It really seemed like an infomercial more than a documentary. A variety of people are paraded before the camera to extoll the virtues the bulbous plant thought to ward off vampires and diseases. I had to go through a lot of effort to track this down through interlibrary loan, so I guess I wish I would have loved it. I didn't even like it, and I have no idea why or how this got on the National Film Registry. I think salsa lovers should demand equal time.

Whiling away the time while staying at home

There is no denying that these are very strange and tumultuous we're living in. Obviously I haven't been blogging too much lately, i...