More Oscar Nominations: Some family films and some sci-fi

1/25/20 Maleficent: Mistress of Evil, nominated Best Makeup and Hairstyling, 2019

I enjoyed the first Maleficent film, starring Angelina Jolie and Elle Fanning; I saw it in a theater and thought the visuals were terrific. Lately, I have found myself reluctant to see sequels, unless I'm compelled by the list or they were part of the Marvel Universe. I had intentions of seeing Maleficent: Mistress of Evil, but it just never happened (the story of my movie life last year). There were parts of this story that truly escaped me; maybe I wasn't paying attention or maybe it was just that incoherent, but I can only give you a high level recap. I was grabbed by the visuals, which I thought were terrific except when they were hidden in some very dark (as in "I can't see, it's too dark") photography. The story picks up a little after the first movie, and Aurora is ruling the Moors; she's also being courted by Prince Philip. I'm not quite sure what Maleficent was doing. Prince Philip's mother, Queen Ingrith (Michelle Pfeifer), is plotting war and revenge against the Moors. She starts by angering Maleficent and creating false pretenses for her aggressions. The pixies are back as are the big trees and other creatures form the Moors; new are the Dark Feys, creatures like Maleficent. I don't think the movie was as good as the first one; I don't think there was enough Maleficent in the sequel; there was too much spread out between Ingrith, Aurora and Maleficent. 

1/26/20 Ad Astra, nominated Best Sound Mixing, 2019


At the heart of it, I think Ad Astra is about the relationship between a father and son and expectations of both; however, it's wrapped up in a sci-fi movie. Brad Pitt is astronaut Major Roy McBride, son of legendary/infamous astronaut/explorer, H. Clifford McBride (Tommy Lee Jones). U.S. Space Command is concerned that recent disturbances in the universe are the result of an experiment being conducting by the elder McBride, and ask Roy McBride to establish contact with his father, whom he has not seen in years. As Major McBride makes his way to Mars to send his message, he encounters brigands and rabid baboons and resistance to his desire to meet his father on Neptune. The whys and wherefores of the story got a little confusing and ridiculous; seriously, rabid baboons on a Norwegian space craft, but so sign of the humans aboard or what happened, and then what happened to the baboons? I stopped trying to figure it out. What I did like about the movie were the incredible visual effects. Those I would have liked to have seen on the big screen, maybe even IMAX, and those aren't even up for a nomination. That was crazy. If you enjoy science fiction/space movies, you have probably seen this already, but if you haven't, I think it's worth watching, and you probably have a television from this century. 

2/1/20 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, nominated Best Original Score, Best Visual Effects, Best Sound, 2019

I was telling my friend today that I just saw Star Wars: The Rise of the Skywalker and I hoped they were done with it. We'll see. I know there are huge Star Wars fans who keep all the plotlines straight and look for plot holes, but I am not one of them. I enjoy them, but I don't look for a lot of deep meaning. There are so many things happening, I mean the movie was over two hours long, that I can't even give you a reasonable recap. It's like the writers and director, J.J. Abrams (also a writer) took as many cast members from the previous eight films (living and dead) as they could, plus more than a handful of cameo appearances by 'new' characters, threw them into a pot, mixed it with explosives, lasers and a familiar score from John Williams and said, "Here you go". I liked the last twenty minutes, but I had to sit through over hundred other minutes. I'm probably in the minority since it has made over $1 billion dollars and is still playing in the theaters, but let's move on, or to quote from Frozen, "Let it go".

2/2/20 Frozen 2, nominated for Best Original Song, 2019


I was not all that thrilled about seeing Frozen 2, not for any tangible reason, I'm just tired of sequels and remakes and reboots, also, I knew there were going to be children in the theater (I saw the first one at home) and I could not legitimately get upset with their existence. It didn't take a lot of arm twisting to get my movie pal to go with me, and I will eat a little bit of crow here, I really did like it, and it was fun listening to the kids giggling at the funny parts, and the songs were really good. The story picks up with Queen Elsa (Idina Menzel) feeling a little restless, but not knowing why; Princess Anna (Kristen Bell) and Kristoff (Jonathan Groff) making googly eyes at each other; and Olaf (Josh Gad) looking for the meaning of life and transformation (in case you don't know, Olaf is a snowman). Elsa starts hearing something, but she can't quite pinpoint what it is or where it's coming from, but around the same time she starts hearing it, other strange phenomenon start: massive winds, strange fires and buckling streets. In order to protect her kingdom, Elsa, with Anna, Kristoff, Olaf and Sven the reindeer, embark on a quest to save Arundelle and the Northuldra tribe who live in the forest and learn the mystery of their parents' lives. Several of the cast members sing, but when Idina Menzel sings, it is mind-blowing. The only category the film is nominated in is for Best Original Song, and the good news is (I think I read it correctly) that Idina Menzel will be singing "Into The Unknown". I thought Frozen 2 was ten million times better than How to Train Your Dragon 47 in the story, the animation, music, everything. 

Frozen in Harbin, 2020

Whiling away the time while staying at home

There is no denying that these are very strange and tumultuous we're living in. Obviously I haven't been blogging too much lately, i...